Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #221  
Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 AM
magicjello magicjello is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
I wouldn't take fall 2017 the day before for a confidence boost lol. I'd probably take a prior to 2017 one.
Haha...I actually had that thought as I typed it.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 PM
ActuariallyDecentAtBest ActuariallyDecentAtBest is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 137
Default

I just took Fall 2017. My eyeballs hurt. The difference between the 2017 exams....and the Fall 2016 exam is just astronomical IMO (In terms of WA.)
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:12 PM
ActuariallyDecentAtBest ActuariallyDecentAtBest is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 137
Default

FYI. This is from the SOA:

Read through time and writing before or after time - there is no writing/brain dumping, highlighting, folding of exam pages, or the use of a calculator until you are instructed to begin the exam. At the end of the exam once you are told, "Time has expired" you must stop writing. Failure to observe these rules will result in your exam's disqualification.


The part about folding exam pages really upsets me.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:31 PM
MathDoctorG MathDoctorG is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The 'ville
College: Cornell
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
FYI. This is from the SOA:

Read through time and writing before or after time - there is no writing/brain dumping, highlighting, folding of exam pages, or the use of a calculator until you are instructed to begin the exam. At the end of the exam once you are told, "Time has expired" you must stop writing. Failure to observe these rules will result in your exam's disqualification.


The part about folding exam pages really upsets me.
The timing of this, which to me seems like an update to the rules, is frustrating.

James talked to the SOA about this specifically several years ago, and this is the first time that we've ever heard that folding pages is a problem.
__________________

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 PM
ActuariallyDecentAtBest ActuariallyDecentAtBest is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
The timing of this, which to me seems like an update to the rules, is frustrating.

James talked to the SOA about this specifically several years ago, and this is the first time that we've ever heard that folding pages is a problem.
Agreed.

This is the last sitting of this particular version of the exam. Why do this now? And why send this email FIVE DAYS before the exam??? Makes absolutely no sense to me, but oh well.

Last edited by ActuariallyDecentAtBest; 04-19-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Adapt and Chill's Avatar
Adapt and Chill Adapt and Chill is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
College: Davidson College
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
Agreed.

This is the last sitting of this particular version of the exam. Why do this now? And why send this email FIVE DAYS before the exam??? Makes absolutely no sense to me, but oh well. Guess I'll have to take out my frustration on this exam!
The link to the Exam Rules and Regulations/Instructions to Candidates doesn't mention folding. Strange inconsistency.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:00 PM
ActuariallyDecentAtBest ActuariallyDecentAtBest is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post
The link to the Exam Rules and Regulations/Instructions to Candidates doesn't mention folding. Strange inconsistency.
The SOA sent out an email today.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Adapt and Chill's Avatar
Adapt and Chill Adapt and Chill is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
College: Davidson College
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
The SOA sent out an email today.
Right, I received the e-mail. In the rules and regulation link within the same e-mail, the change to the rules isn't included. Glad you pointed out the update from the e-mail though; I glossed over it earlier.

Last edited by Adapt and Chill; 04-19-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 PM
hardlyworking hardlyworking is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 50
Default

Out of the loop a bit, what's generally considered a passing score? I know 70 is safe, but I imagine the number needed for a 6 is probably a bit lower.

I took Fall 2015 and got a 68.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 PM
actuarially a scientist actuarially a scientist is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
College: Appalachian State University 2017
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
Out of the loop a bit, what's generally considered a passing score? I know 70 is safe, but I imagine the number needed for a 6 is probably a bit lower.

I took Fall 2015 and got a 68.
On TIA, James seems to think that a 65/96 would give you 6. I looked at the pass marks, when those were still released, and the highest one was below 70%. So 68/96 is right at safe, I think. Though... the 2015 exam isn't on the same level as the two most recent exams. I would take 2017 exams and see how you do on those to get a feel for what shape you are in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.47321 seconds with 12 queries