Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2018, 04:42 PM
CAS

Default EL Career Advice

Hey everyone, I'm writing this to ask for career advice. I have passed P, FM, and MFE, and cant seem to land a job which I attributed to a lack of an internship in college. So I landed an full-time post-grad internship at a forensic accounting firm in January to gain experience working with excel in an analytical role and build my resume a bit. I felt it would also be beneficial to pass a 4th while doing the internship. So I took Exam C for the first time in June and failed (if I had to guess, by only 1 or 2 questions. BUMMER!). I'm not currently in the actuarial field, and there are no longer any crossover prelims between the SOA and CAS, and i'm not really sure if it's wise to take a CAS-only or SOA-only exam because I would pigeonhole myself before getting any actuarial job experience. If I had to pick one now based off what I know now I think I would like Casualty the most, but I find Life / Health interesting too and would take a job in those fields right away if offered.

Right now, I've switched my focus onto learning SQL and then i'm going to learn Python. I already have a pretty solid foundation in coding from my college and already know Java, so learning SQL has been a breeze so far.

In my internship I've been getting some great experience, and even had the ability to do the main calculations on a wrongful death case to project expected future yearly income cash flows and figure out it's present value. (I basically took the actuarial present value and utilized mortality tables to get the probability of survival of each year). That project was loads of fun and really reinforced my desire to be in the field. It was also fun explaining actuarial principles to CPAs who didn't have any experience with that sort of stuff.

Any input on what I should be doing to make me more appealing for EL positions?