Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM
SOA

College: University of California, Riverside
Default Study Advice?

I am seating on October of this year. I work 6 times a week, full time and studying after work proves difficult. I am using the ASM manual. Do you guys do all the end of the chapter exercises and try to understand all of them? Or do you do a couple of them and move on? I feel like I am stuck on Section 3 for a long time.

Any study advice??
Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

What make studying difficult?

Does studying need to be "(right) after work"?

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM
SOA

I have work from 9 am until 9 PM. Afterwards, I get so tired, no energy to study at all
Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siny View Post
I am seating on October of this year. I work 6 times a week, full time and studying after work proves difficult.
I bet you're trying to study at home. Go to a coffee shop or library.

I am using the ASM manual. Do you guys do all the end of the chapter exercises and try to understand all of them? Or do you do a couple of them and move on? I feel like I am stuck on Section 3 for a long time.
Budget X amount of questions to do a day such that you can cover all topics by October. No need to do all. Once you get to the end go back to questions you struggled with/missed.

Any study advice??
See bolded
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam IFM
College: BEng Aerospace Engineering

Quote:
I am seating on October of this year. I work 6 times a week, full time and studying after work proves difficult. I am using the ASM manual. Do you guys do all the end of the chapter exercises and try to understand all of them? Or do you do a couple of them and move on? I feel like I am stuck on Section 3 for a long time.

Any study advice??
Don't know about ASM, but I did all the problem from Finan and they sort of set you up for harder and harder problems and this way it helped me to learn and pass.

Interest Theory and Annuity took long for me to finish. And I think it is the base of Exam FM. Almost 1.5 months. Loan section like 10 days. After that I finished the rest in like 15 days or so.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
I have work from 9 am until 9 PM. Afterwards, I get so tired, no energy to study at all
Six days a week?

Again, do you need to do the studying after work?

I can easily see 3 hours of quality studying time before work in that set up.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-25-2019, 03:12 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Six days a week?

Again, do you need to do the studying after work?

I can easily see 3 hours of quality studying time before work in that set up.
Really? easily? I would be exhausted if I was working 12 hour days 6 days a week. I know myself, and I would not be able to have any quality study time.

I think your options are to either buckle down and force yourself to study, find a new job that's not so demanding, or postpone taking exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Really? easily? I would be exhausted if I was working 12 hour days 6 days a week. I know myself, and I would not be able to have any quality study time.

I think your options are to either buckle down and force yourself to study, find a new job that's not so demanding, or postpone taking exams.
Would take a lot of determination to even pass the first couple under that schedule, at least for me
Old 06-25-2019, 08:36 PM
SOA

Thanks for the tips guys!

I will definitely try to go to Starbucks, I have one near me that's open 24 hours.

I feel like I need to fully and patiently grasp the foundations before moving on because I know I am rushing.

Also, there's too many problems at the end of each section to do them all. I agree, I need to maybe do the even problems first and when I have time, go over the odd problems once I move on to other concepts to make sure I still remember everything.

I plan to get 2 days off from work if I am not able to stay on schedule or if I realize I am too behind. I will try the Finan's study manual too as a supplement!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 PM
SOA

College: St. Edwards University

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys!

Also, there's too many problems at the end of each section to do them all. I agree, I need to maybe do the even problems first and when I have time, go over the odd problems once I move on to other concepts to make sure I still remember everything.
I am not working at all right now so I am having an easier time I think, but I also find annuities challenging. I have a few suggestions similar to what you've already heard.

1) Study in the morning. You schedule is insane and I know I'd be brain dead after a twelve hour shift.

2) Work 5 to 10 problems at the end of each chapter before moving on. At the beginning of your study session, do one or two problems from a previous section as a warm up and review.

I am also planning to take the exam in October so I think we should start a thread for October exam takers, even if its just the two of us in their asking most of the questions. I think I'll go start one now.

I am also struggling with annuities also though the clouds do seem to be parting. I've taken a lot of time to analyze single problems in depth, reviewed definitions (I was not at all clear on present value despite the fact that I got pretty good at solving for v in section 2), and make sure that I can explain the problems in plain English as I work them out.

In general, I think taking a half hour to fully understand a single problem is more productive than trying to charge through two or more in the same amount of time.