Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) track > QFI Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

QFI Core Exam Old Advanced Portfolio Management Forum

Old 04-11-2015, 12:48 PM
SOA

College: Missouri State, Alumni
Default Question: Fall 2014 #6

Does anyone understand part (b-i) of problem 6 - below are my questions (while looking at the solution).

1. Shouldn't the dollar return (A) be S3 - S2 rather than S3/S2? Seems like they are calculating a percentage return

2. They calculate the expected value of S3/S2 using probabilities from time t=3. I would have expected this to use probability from time t=2?

3. When calculating the E(Xt/Xt-1), why are the inflation terms taken to the exponential?

Appreciate any help!!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordycole08 View Post
Does anyone understand part (b-i) of problem 6 - below are my questions (while looking at the solution).

1. Shouldn't the dollar return (A) be S3 - S2 rather than S3/S2? Seems like they are calculating a percentage return

2. They calculate the expected value of S3/S2 using probabilities from time t=3. I would have expected this to use probability from time t=2?

3. When calculating the E(Xt/Xt-1), why are the inflation terms taken to the exponential?

Appreciate any help!!
So you may have resolved this already but...........

I think the wording on this question is a bit poor, when they say dollar return, they mean % return in US dollars so thats why it S3/S2 * X3/X2

S3 = 1.2 * S2 * .6 + .95 * S2 * .4
so S3/S2 = 1.2 * .6 + .95 * .4

Its to the exponential because the solution the SDE for Xt is lognormal, check out Ch. 11 Neftci - section 4.2 Geometric SDEs
Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM
SOA

Also who else is floating between:

AHHHHHHH EXAM IS SO SOON, I NEED ANOTHER MONTH TO STUDY

and

I can not read another sentence, I just want to write this god damn exam already!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:05 PM
SOA

Yes, we do, listed in the syllabus under tables.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:43 PM
SOA

Does anyone know if we're supposed to interpolate between values in the normal table, or can we just round the Z value to the nearest .01 and use that to find N(z)?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
SOA

Also, what is everyone doing on the last day before the exam? I'm feeling pretty good about the stochastic calculus portion, and wishing I had spent more time on APM. So I'm spending the day going over the old QFI exams to make sure I understand the answers on APM material (specifically, how much information to provide). I'm also putting alot of emphaiss on getting through the questions quickly, and getting partial credit for quickly jotting down anything that I do know when I'm short on time.

Anyone else have tips or words of wisdom for the exam day?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:38 PM
SOA

College: Brown University

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseyree12 View Post
Also, what is everyone doing on the last day before the exam? I'm feeling pretty good about the stochastic calculus portion, and wishing I had spent more time on APM. So I'm spending the day going over the old QFI exams to make sure I understand the answers on APM material (specifically, how much information to provide). I'm also putting alot of emphaiss on getting through the questions quickly, and getting partial credit for quickly jotting down anything that I do know when I'm short on time.

Anyone else have tips or words of wisdom for the exam day?
Here is what I sent the TIA students today:

The material is really challenging but remember that you can miss many questions and still pass. If I had to give one piece of advice the day before the exam, itís that you need to be good with time management on exam day. Make sure you are budgeting 3 min per point. FSA exams are a huge time crunch for pretty much everyone. Itís not like the prelims. If there is a 1 point question that asks you to compare and contrast eight things ó just spend your three minutes and move on. Itís not worth it. Also, one huge mistake people make ó do not spend too much time on the material that you know. For example, say there is a half point question asking you to describe delta hedging. Itís not the time to spill out every little detail you know. You just get 1.5 minutes, so they are not expecting much. Maybe a sentence or two. Also bullet points and incomplete sentences are totally fine!

Remember to read each question fully and if they ask you to do something (make a recommendation, etc.) then specifically do that. Spill it out very clearly ó I recommend x. Donít make them search for it or play both sides.

Lastly, Iíve said it many times before and Iíll say it again ó familiarize yourself with the formula sheet! You will get this on exam day and you donít want to be flipping through hunting down a formula. You should know where it is already!

QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | LAM | ERM

Follow TIA on instagram: the_infinite_actuary
Old 04-30-2015, 08:11 AM
SOA

So what did everyone think?

I thought the morning session was really tough compared to any past exam.

Afternoon seemed better but I felt a time crunch so don't know.......
Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 AM
SOA

I also thought the morning session was very difficult. Much harder than I expected.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM
SOA

Found the morning session to be very difficult as well.

Afternoon was a break, but ending up writing furiously and still only barely finished.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler: