Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
If it is that small of an amount of stuff, it seems like a Raspberry Pi or equally small PC at your parents/GF/BF/BFF/work with Sync set up on both would be great. Free, unlimited backups, you control the whole setup.
I moved to a new state this year and I'm not yet close enough to anybody here to ask them to put an electricity-using, bandwidth-consuming unfamiliar device in their household and expect them to update it whenever they change their wifi password.... except maybe one guy I know who is originally from my hometown but he travels a lot for his job (which could leave me without access to the thing for weeks).
Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

A year of Backblaze for $25 till midnight tonight.

http://www.appsumo.com/backblaze-deal-2014/buy/
Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

BitTorrent Sync 2.0 just came out. They have a Pro version which I signed up for. Much easier to use as you get a single identity for managing it. Some other key features are selective sync, placeholder files, incremental updates, better folder sharing, remotely manage permissions, and some other stuff.

https://www.getsync.com/features

I've mainly been using it for putting movies on the family tablets before leaving on a trip. Before with something like Wifi Explorer where the tablet runs a little server, it would take 10-12 hours to load 12gb worth of movies. With Sync, it takes under an hour. I can even notice the difference if I place the tablets on the desk by the router vs having them in the livingroom (~25 away with a wall between), so I know I'm saturating the connection.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
An apparent problem with some of these services is that when they transmit the file diff to their server, instead of using the diff to rebuild the new version of the file, they store the diff, and plan to use the diff to restore the file if you request it in the future.

So if a file gets modified several times, they have diff on top of diff on top of diff ad nauseam. Then to restore the file they have to cycle through all those diffs, slowing down the restore process and if one thing is wrong with any diff in the chain you get a corrupted or unrestorable file.

Worse yet is if they group all or subsets of your files into containers (to aid with compression or deduplication), and do the diffs on the container instead of file-by-file. That way one bad diff can screw up several files or even your entire account.

Ideally they would use the diff to update the server-side file, then run a hash on it to check that it matches the client-side file. If the diff persists after that it, it should only be for restoring older versions of the file. I believe Dropbox does something like that in order to make it efficient to sync with the latest version of each file, as it would be too costly to be rebuild the files from diffs every time a sync is requested.

Anyway, I don't plan to use online backup services for large-scale backups into the hundreds of MB or TB. My large-scale off-site backups will continue to be handled by a relatively low-tech method: simply store a hard drive outside my apartment somewhere such as in my car or desk drawer at work, then swap it with the local backup drive once every 2-3 weeks.

The online backup would only be for the subset of data (under 10 GB) considered the most important and hardest to replace. Storing very large volumes of data online may result in being unable to obtain it in time because it takes too long to download or you have to wait for a hard drive to be shipped to you.
I'm trying to decide which (or if) online service to go with, and this is a real issue to me. If it's going to take weeks to upload all the data, it would be nice to see them say something about how they're verifying that what they have is the same as what I have. The only provider I've come across that seems to address this is Acronis, with their blockchain technology in True Image 2017.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM
CAS

I've been researching this. I have a mac, and I want a solution for both me and my husband.

We'll probably go with crashplan. It has pricing that makes sense for a household, and has a good suite of features, including backing up to a friend's space or a local drive if your own. It keeps lots of versions, which is a key feature if you are worried about ransomware. And I have several friends using it, so that's built-in user support. The chief downside is that it's slow. I did know people who have successfully restored from it, fwiw.

In second place right now is carbonite. If I only had one computer (or one person's data) to back up I think it would be in first place.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I've been researching this. I have a mac, and I want a solution for both me and my husband.

We'll probably go with crashplan. It has pricing that makes sense for a household, and has a good suite of features, including backing up to a friend's space or a local drive if your own. It keeps lots of versions, which is a key feature if you are worried about ransomware. And I have several friends using it, so that's built-in user support. The chief downside is that it's slow. I did know people who have successfully restored from it, fwiw.

In second place right now is carbonite. If I only had one computer (or one person's data) to back up I think it would be in first place.
I'm test driving crashplan. Was impressed that it only took a little over 3 days to upload approx. 700 GB of data. Have not yet tested how long it takes to download a significant amount of data. Carbonite was a non-starter for us since you have to pay extra to get automatic backups of video files. There is no way I'm going to go through and manually tag every single video file to get them covered.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 PM
CAS AAA

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

I've been using Crashplan for a while now (with more sensitive files encrypted, naturally).

I've never had a need to do a full restore (thank goodness), but I've had no issues with recovering entire directories that have been accidentally deleted/corrupted.

I will say that it took me about one year to upload 1.2TB of data...but I intentionally throttled bandwidth / limited hours of operation, so as to keep the pipe clear for other use.

If there were an Amazon cloud based solution that shifted control of security more into my court / was less high-profile than Crashplan, I'd make the switch, but I haven't been sufficiently motivated to do the research.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
If there were an Amazon cloud based solution that shifted control of security more into my court / was less high-profile than Crashplan, I'd make the switch, but I haven't been sufficiently motivated to do the research.
Check out Duplicati, open source backup software which can store to Amazon S3 (or Cloud Drive) and runs on Linux, Mac and Windows.