Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Bought back my Dayton 15" subs, they seemed to integrate better with my big subs. Still got the 21" Tektons though, and I'm not sure what the hell to do with them.

Could move these to the garage with my CF-4 and see if I can start some impromptu block parties.

And I'm super-pissed at Peachtree, who said my active monitors would be out in March. Then it was April, then May, and then I finally saw an update that production was done, and that orders would be shipping soon. Hooray. But then a week later, they said it was for the earlier orders, and that mine haven't been made yet. So I have to wait for production to happen. And then three weeks on a boat from China. And then a week for them to get to the warehouse. And then a week for shipping. So, like August? They said March when I ordered, and I've been patient, but this is bullshit.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:18 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Well, I had a DAC for sale. Guy came by today and I traded the DAC for a pair of Swans M200 active monitors. I can use these in our bedroom until the Peachtree get here.

I wouldn't quite call them audiophile. They have a 5" woofer in a smallish box, a dome tweeter, and of course a built-in amp. They sound pretty good though, perfect for a bedroom setup.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:20 PM
SOA

I'm figuring out that I'm now in a place where people argue over the relative merits of one niche expensive piece of audio equipment over another. A number of people online say that the Bluesound Node 2 sounds better than they can believe for the price. Some will run the optical or coax out to a DAC before sending to their pre-amp. But others are saying that their supposedly nicer DAC doesn't improve anything over the Node 2.

Tons of audiophiles say that Tidal's new MQA doesn't actually do anything to improve the sound of files. It's just that they're starting with better masters before applying the MQA to it. Unfortunately, MQA files, while possible to play without MQA decoding, sound worse than if MQA hadn't been applied at all. Some argue that it might sound worse, even after proper MQA decoding, than if MQA hadn't been applied at all.

So I think I'll get the Node 2, if only for the convenience factor, and run it from my Kindle Fire that I hardly use these days. If the sound is amazing, then problem solved. But if I have to go the next level, then I can start shopping dedicated DACs. I'm hearing really good things about the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit for $249. Folks seem to agree that it's difficult to beat without paying at least double.