Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for life
College: Several, teacher and student
Favorite beer: I like milk (2% preferred).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I play several nights per week still. Still not really any better. Still having fun.
QMO plays with me often.

My IGN: Descalzo
QMO: TMQMO
They wouldn't let me have QMO for my name.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 PM
CAS

I've played this game a crazy amount of hours and am still terrible. Started ranked midway through the season last year and finished in bronze. I'm up to silver 3 now, and really aiming for gold by end of season. Now that exams are done (at least until next spring), will hopefully be able to improve.

Anybody watching MSI? Being an NA fan is rough...
Old 05-15-2017, 03:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf58 View Post
I've played this game a crazy amount of hours and am still terrible. Started ranked midway through the season last year and finished in bronze. I'm up to silver 3 now, and really aiming for gold by end of season. Now that exams are done (at least until next spring), will hopefully be able to improve.

Anybody watching MSI? Being an NA fan is rough...
I was mid silver for ages but managed to climb into platinum by limiting myself to two roles (mid primarily and support secondary) and very few champions.

I play lux almost every game, morgana/ori if lux isnt available and then play blitz primarily or morg if hes banned for support.

If you really limit yourself you're able to get quite good with the specifics of that person/lane, imo.

And always be thinking of how you can do better, usually means dying less. What mistake did I make so that next time I'm in that situation I'll do something different.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM
CAS

I've always played just a few champions, but just recently started honing in on mistakes / watching replays of my losses. It's amazing the things you notice on replays that you don't while playing.

I play mostly ahri mid. Secondary either swain top or thresh sup.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:46 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam FM
College: Binghamton University

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf58 View Post
I've always played just a few champions, but just recently started honing in on mistakes / watching replays of my losses. It's amazing the things you notice on replays that you don't while playing.

I play mostly ahri mid. Secondary either swain top or thresh sup.
You've only played this game around a year or so right? I've been in silver for 2 seasons and last season I got to plat. So I actually never gotten a gold border before :o
Anyways you just need to play more and get used to the game. At your elo, you're still learning the basics. People in gold, plat, and low diamond simply do the basics a lot more better than a silver. Play to improve and not to gain LP; then you'll shoot through the ranks. Ahri is a solid pick but if you find yourself missing those skillshots and making a lot of mechanical errors, you might need to consider a different champion.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:49 PM
SOA

Sounds like you aren't the only blame teammates type of player which is good, as that is first step to improving, as you focus more on your own mistakes and becoming more of a perfectionist in the roles and characters you play often. At the silver rank, there are mistakes at almost all parts of the game, but you work on improving the easier to control ones whereas some of the tougher ones you will learn with experiences. Easy to control ones would be CSing, Vision, Build Paths, and Combo execution whereas tougher ones would be shotcalling, roaming, teamfighting, objective control.

Some things you can do to improve are:
- be harder on yourself for missing CS, if you change your perspective to think of it as every missed CS is negative gold and every killed CS is expected to make gold, your standards will go up. Hell, try doing 1 game during first 5-10 minutes of lane phase you literally count the number of minions you didn't last hit, then multiply that by 20 or whatever the average gold they earn now and you would be surprised how fast it adds up.
- review your positioning and decision making when you died to gank in laning phase, think of the bits of information you knew before, did you know the jungler was just seen in top river/bottom river? and with that information, did you not play away from that side anyway and make a gank easier? did you ward, and if you did, did you position your player on the side the ward was on to better protect yourself?
- during laning phase, focus on getting CS while also poking the opposing champion (especially with a champion like Ahri) with auto attacks or splash abilities. characters are most vulnerable/predictable when they are going for a CS themselves, you can punish them for it by landing an ability then or an autoattack they can't trade back.
- don't waste mana needlessly, especially early game. only use charm on high % shots early game, and only use W if you can control where the attacks will go

Idk, that is my ramble for now. Was diamond 5 for seasons 4 and 5 I think.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine