Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Bought back my Dayton 15" subs, they seemed to integrate better with my big subs. Still got the 21" Tektons though, and I'm not sure what the hell to do with them.

Could move these to the garage with my CF-4 and see if I can start some impromptu block parties.

And I'm super-pissed at Peachtree, who said my active monitors would be out in March. Then it was April, then May, and then I finally saw an update that production was done, and that orders would be shipping soon. Hooray. But then a week later, they said it was for the earlier orders, and that mine haven't been made yet. So I have to wait for production to happen. And then three weeks on a boat from China. And then a week for them to get to the warehouse. And then a week for shipping. So, like August? They said March when I ordered, and I've been patient, but this is bullshit.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 PM
SOA AAA

Well, I had a DAC for sale. Guy came by today and I traded the DAC for a pair of Swans M200 active monitors. I can use these in our bedroom until the Peachtree get here.

I wouldn't quite call them audiophile. They have a 5" woofer in a smallish box, a dome tweeter, and of course a built-in amp. They sound pretty good though, perfect for a bedroom setup.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:20 PM
SOA

I'm figuring out that I'm now in a place where people argue over the relative merits of one niche expensive piece of audio equipment over another. A number of people online say that the Bluesound Node 2 sounds better than they can believe for the price. Some will run the optical or coax out to a DAC before sending to their pre-amp. But others are saying that their supposedly nicer DAC doesn't improve anything over the Node 2.

Tons of audiophiles say that Tidal's new MQA doesn't actually do anything to improve the sound of files. It's just that they're starting with better masters before applying the MQA to it. Unfortunately, MQA files, while possible to play without MQA decoding, sound worse than if MQA hadn't been applied at all. Some argue that it might sound worse, even after proper MQA decoding, than if MQA hadn't been applied at all.

So I think I'll get the Node 2, if only for the convenience factor, and run it from my Kindle Fire that I hardly use these days. If the sound is amazing, then problem solved. But if I have to go the next level, then I can start shopping dedicated DACs. I'm hearing really good things about the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit for $249. Folks seem to agree that it's difficult to beat without paying at least double.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:04 PM
SOA AAA

It's happening. The Gedlee cabinets are done, and should be shipping today so I will have them late this week. I'll need to sand and paint them, and install crossovers and drivers, and then I'm in business.

Had an interesting chat last night with a friend in Houston regarding amplification. I know more and more amps are class D these days, and even the audiophile crowd is starting to come around. So I asked him for his thoughts regarding class D and crossover distortion, and he said a lot of the class D amps have vanishing levels of it. Given I'm now using my two Outlaws to drive the mains, I was thinking about a class D amp to drive a pair of subs... now I'm thinking about buying the class D but trying it out on my mains.

Yep, a big old class D pro amp for hifi. He's big on the Crest amps, and will send me a very quiet fan to install so there isn't any fan noise. Will likely buy the big 7.5 and call it a day, it'll do just over 1kW/channel into 8 ohms, it's a monster.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
it'll do just over 1kW/channel into 8 ohms, it's a monster.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:02 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
6,200 w bridged into 4 ohms.

I need to see pricing, I kept telling him that I already have two very powerful subs, so I don't need this kind of power on subs three and four. Of course, if the price differential isn't that great, I might just get the big one and know I'll never be short on power.

A friend in college once told me that I was the definition of 'apply liberally.' Seems about right.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
A friend in college once told me that I was the definition of 'apply liberally.' Seems about right.

I got similar jokes in college ... and in my jobs ... and at home.

In other news: I was never a big U2 fan back in the day. But I think that's because I was annoyed by some of the fans in my high school, and it tainted them for me. But tonight, I'm listening to "One" and Bono's voice is ridiculously clear, thanks in part to those awesome amps you sold me. Very cool.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post

I got similar jokes in college ... and in my jobs ... and at home.

In other news: I was never a big U2 fan back in the day. But I think that's because I was annoyed by some of the fans in my high school, and it tainted them for me. But tonight, I'm listening to "One" and Bono's voice is ridiculously clear, thanks in part to those awesome amps you sold me. Very cool.
I was never a big U2 fan, but One is a great song. I'm not really sure how to quantify it, but you know you're getting in the ballpark when vocals start to sound convincingly live.

Horns aren't known for this, but they have such a dynamic sound. So the horn guys have been obsessing for years to improve the sound. And we are finally at a place where horns are getting quite good. I've always liked Klipsch, but they aren't all that accurate. But I've heard the 590, and they sound natural. The uber JBL gear is amazing, but tens of thousands of dollars. The stuff from Zu is quite good. Fingers crossed on the Gedlee. Took a while to get here, but we are at a point where a really good horn is indistinguishable from a conventional dome tweeter, or nearly so, in terms of fidelity. And you get the dynamics. So now the only downside is horns are large, which I can live with.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:09 AM
SOA AAA

Crap. I have a friend who is a EE and an audiophile. He understands amps and signal processing pretty well. His concerns about class D are interesting. I'll admit I understood about half of what he was telling me. Basically that with class D you don't have much crossover distortion or THD. But you have other non-harmonic issues like jitter, and with the pulse width modulation there may be some loss in resolution. I need to read up as best I can on all of this. I spent a fair amount of time understanding loudspeakers, I know little about amps.

But I'm really after a sub amp. 70 or 80Hz on down. Reproducing 80Hz is cake, and class D is efficient and cheap. So I can buy a pro amp for subs, and try it out on the mains. If it's not good, I will put it on sub duty and go back to the Outlaws. Maybe see if I can find an old Monarchy class A amp for the horns and biamp with the Outlaws on the Gedlee woofers.

I really throttled the current system tonight, with 'just' two subs the bass is completely effortless even at very high SPL. Rattling is an issue. And I fired up some live Jason Isbell. The CF4 are, in my opinion, some of the best Klipsch ever made. But acoustic music...it's lacking just a bit of realism. Still, quite enjoyable. And if you like AC/DC, Klipsch is about as good as it gets!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
And if you like AC/DC, Klipsch is about as good as it gets!
I can't really consider myself an audiophile, but wanted to chime in about Klipsch. Last year I upgraded my sad sound bar situation to Klipsch Reference Premiere and couldn't be happier with that decision. Absolutely love the horns.

Foreigner's Juke Box Hero is my favorite song to crank up