Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:43 PM
SOA

Default PC gaming build

Started looking at PC builds last night.... looks like a fully done PC would run me around 1k. Bit more than I was hoping for sure. Sucks playing on 5 year old laptop which can't even run Rocket League over 30 FPS on the graphically easy maps (15-20 on the bad ones) with settings all on the lowest settings. Plus after 5 years with minimal maintenance I should probably start thinking about having a contingency in case something does fail in it.

Not really sure where I could save on the PC build while not really compromising on longevity of the build.

This was just a partial / minimal research build I threw together that didn't include a motherboard (seems to require more research which I haven't done yet and a power supply which would be dependent on the final product and case which depends on motherboard somewhat).
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vh3fD8

I'm admittedly not a PC expert, but know some general things. Curious to see where people think I could save money if I do go forward with a PC build.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

If you don't feel comfortable putting everything together, iBuyPower has a really good customization tool, and their multiple options of prebuilt rigs are great (each of which have customization options).

http://www.ibuypower.com/
Old 01-31-2017, 06:22 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

I like your picks so far except for the video card. Would recommend a GTX instead.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C/Exam 4
College: college of duh!

on reddit try

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

they can help you just read the faq first

"You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures." - Charles C. Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
Does he math good?

I need a geek in the streets but a mathlete in the sheets.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Compared to what you have listed:
- you could save more money on the CPU, with a slower i5. Games don't use the CPU that much and there's marginal difference in the i5 speeds. But if it's $10 difference why not go faster.
- add a motherboard ($100-150 range is good bang for the buck, but you can save $50 off that by going with something on sale). ATX size is just fine unless you want to save more money or want a small case.
- add a power supply - I'd go with something pretty solid here so you can use it for 10 years (i.e. on future PC builds)... I like Seasonic but they may be pricy, maybe go about 750W
- personally, I'd just go all SSD this day-and-age, and I think 500GB is the sweet spot of price per GB. Maybe just start with one of those and see if you need more later. If you add the price of your SSD and HDD, you can get 500 GB SSD easily. Watch for sales.
- case - you can save a lot here... decent stuff for $40-50 (shipped?!). Doesn't really depend on the motherboard, unless you want a tiny case (in which case you need to go mini-ATX or ITX size motherboard... I wouldn't recommend it if you're building it yourself)
- I'd probably go with a GTX 1060, but you could save money on graphics for now, especially if you have a 1080p screen (not like a 4k or VR or something cutting edge). The Radeon may be fine, but this is where I'd research and see what's the best bang/buck.
- I'd go DDR4 at this point, but you could save with DDR3 if needed. Especially with more SSD space

You don't need a CD/DVD/blu drive for gaming, nor an audio card. They are a luxury.

Remember speakers, monitor, mouse, keyboard if you need them. $100-150 is plenty for an acceptable 1080p monitor. And determine if you need an xbox controller or something if you plan to play on the couch with your TV.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:14 AM

The video card is arguably the most important piece of the build, so it's hard to recommend skimping on that. But you could go with a 1050 (or 1050 ti) and save a bit. I think it's one of the pieces that's easiest to switch out and I'll usually upgrade every couple years. Or I've got an extra 970 I'd be willing to part with for $100 or so.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Never built a PC but this website always looked interesting:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 AM

I found Tom's Hardware to be helpful for quick easy guides by price to look at.

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/builds/

Honestly the biggest way you can save money is to just watch out for good sales. If your timeline is flexible it's easy to research good deals. Microcenter, newegg and amazon will regularly have sales that can save you a couple hundred. $30 off a graphics card, $20 off a case, $50 off a cpu/motherboard combo, etc. it all starts to add up.

That's what I do when I'm building. I make my list of parts and watch for deals. I also do enough research to know which parts are quality so if a similar SSD will come on sale I know whether or not I want to go with it instead of the original part on my list.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Building computers seems like a lot of hassle. This one has everything you want but the SSD:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

I'm sure you could do better, but it probably not a whole lot better.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

It's a lot easier than it seems. I had no idea wtf I was doing but built mine after a 10 min YouTube video and following the instructions on my parts.