Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 PM
CAS

Studying for Calc & Stat Tutoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
You don't need a CD/DVD/blu drive for gaming, nor an audio card. They are a luxury.
Considering you can get a DVD drive for $20, that's not exactly a budget buster.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Building computers seems like a lot of hassle. This one has everything you want but the SSD:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

I'm sure you could do better, but it probably not a whole lot better.
It's actually really easy, especially if you are doing a simple build and not doing anything with water cooling. Let's be honest though, most of us just build because we are nerds and think it's fun.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
If you don't feel comfortable putting everything together, iBuyPower has a really good customization tool, and their multiple options of prebuilt rigs are great (each of which have customization options).

http://www.ibuypower.com/
Thanks, I tinkered around on this for a while this morning. Looks like price points are similar, but they do have more exclusive deals where I could see a customized version resulting in a good deal overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Compared to what you have listed:
Spoiler:
- you could save more money on the CPU, with a slower i5. Games don't use the CPU that much and there's marginal difference in the i5 speeds. But if it's $10 difference why not go faster.
- add a motherboard ($100-150 range is good bang for the buck, but you can save $50 off that by going with something on sale). ATX size is just fine unless you want to save more money or want a small case.
- add a power supply - I'd go with something pretty solid here so you can use it for 10 years (i.e. on future PC builds)... I like Seasonic but they may be pricy, maybe go about 750W
- personally, I'd just go all SSD this day-and-age, and I think 500GB is the sweet spot of price per GB. Maybe just start with one of those and see if you need more later. If you add the price of your SSD and HDD, you can get 500 GB SSD easily. Watch for sales.
- case - you can save a lot here... decent stuff for $40-50 (shipped?!). Doesn't really depend on the motherboard, unless you want a tiny case (in which case you need to go mini-ATX or ITX size motherboard... I wouldn't recommend it if you're building it yourself)
- I'd probably go with a GTX 1060, but you could save money on graphics for now, especially if you have a 1080p screen (not like a 4k or VR or something cutting edge). The Radeon may be fine, but this is where I'd research and see what's the best bang/buck.
- I'd go DDR4 at this point, but you could save with DDR3 if needed. Especially with more SSD space

You don't need a CD/DVD/blu drive for gaming, nor an audio card. They are a luxury.

Remember speakers, monitor, mouse, keyboard if you need them. $100-150 is plenty for an acceptable 1080p monitor. And determine if you need an xbox controller or something if you plan to play on the couch with your TV.
Thanks for all the pointers. I went with that CPU as it is the latest generation recently released by Intel. Going down would mean going back to prior version which wouldn't be a short term problem, but could be annoying in future as DX12 is used more (all of this from my online reading so I could be off here). I like SSD and HDD for storing main games and OS on SSD and pictures/video on HDD. The Radeon 480 seems to have really good reviews and is quite popular from the research I had done. I do have a monitor/keyboard/mouse/headset/Xbox controller already (I basically use my laptop as a desktop PC), although would have to consider a wireless adapter and some sort of speakers.

Question on the power supply, how much higher above estimated wattage should I go? You are recommending around double the wattage estimate of the parts (not including monitor/peripherals). I understand to go on high side, but 750 seems almost too high? Was thinking around 600 originally with a fully modular, high efficiency power supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I found Tom's Hardware to be helpful for quick easy guides by price to look at.

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/builds/

Honestly the biggest way you can save money is to just watch out for good sales. If your timeline is flexible it's easy to research good deals. Microcenter, newegg and amazon will regularly have sales that can save you a couple hundred. $30 off a graphics card, $20 off a case, $50 off a cpu/motherboard combo, etc. it all starts to add up.

That's what I do when I'm building. I make my list of parts and watch for deals. I also do enough research to know which parts are quality so if a similar SSD will come on sale I know whether or not I want to go with it instead of the original part on my list.
Yeah, I spent most of my time reading Tom's hardware intro articles when thinking about the prelim build. I'm not on an urgent timeline so I like your recommendation of simply price scouting for deals. I guess I would just buy it part by part over time? Would test my patience and commitment for sure... (tend to be a do it one burst kind of spender).
Old 02-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Do you already own a monitor and if so what's the resolution? If you don't then what resolution do you want to game at? It seems like you are looking for a 1080p build but if you want more resolution than that you are going to need to beef up some of your hardware and increase your budget.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Do you already own a monitor and if so what's the resolution? If you don't then what resolution do you want to game at? It seems like you are looking for a 1080p build but if you want more resolution than that you are going to need to beef up some of your hardware and increase your budget.
I have a 1080p monitor I believe.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

AT LEAST GTX 1070. And SSD of course. Get a monitor with G-sync,144hz, and 1ms response timing. You'd want to take advantage of getting over 60fps.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Building computers seems like a lot of hassle. This one has everything you want but the SSD:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

I'm sure you could do better, but it probably not a whole lot better.
I'm a big fan of microcenter if you have one not too far from you.

I basically went in and they have a guy who specializes in helping people build their own PC and described what I wanted it to be able to do (basically what sorts of games and graphics) and my price point and he went through it and was very upfront about where you can save money and what marginal dollars would look like on the end product. Extra $90 or so at the end to get them to assemble it for you as well. I was a very happy customer at the end of the day, would have cost me at least 50% more to get what I got from HP or Dell.. I spent about $950 in the end.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeContingent View Post
AT LEAST GTX 1070. And SSD of course. Get a monitor with G-sync,144hz, and 1ms response timing. You'd want to take advantage of getting over 60fps.
1070? Might as well get an xBox.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeContingent View Post
While the GTX 1070 or better is a fine standard for the gaming card, it is about double the price for about 40% extra performance relative to the radeon 480 that the OP had previously picked out. You are talking about a $400 graphics card, which might also reasonably require liquid cooling.

AMD Radeon graphic cards are hard to beat on price to performance ratio, and the 480 is a sweet spot right now.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:11 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
While the GTX 1070 or better is a fine standard for the gaming card, it is about double the price for about 40% extra performance relative to the radeon 480 that the OP had previously picked out. You are talking about a $400 graphics card, which might also reasonably require liquid cooling.

AMD Radeon graphic cards are hard to beat on price to performance ratio, and the 480 is a sweet spot right now.
Oh, my bad, I thought the OP wanted to make a gaming pc.

To get 40% extra performance for less than $200 bucks more is arguably a pretty good deal for something that will give you enjoyment for a few years. Even though it may come close to double the cost, the magnitude of $$ is not that high, so price to performance ratio really doesn't mean much in this case. It's not like you are going to be saving thousands. Of course that is just my point of view.

To each his own though.