Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:26 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

Down side of Micro Center is the sales tax. It's 10% where I live, and paying $70 extra on a laptop even though they price match isn't the best deal. I did it anyway :|
Old 02-02-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
case matters more than you think so spend some time looking at reviews (youtube is great for this) and pick one that's easy to work with and sexy enough to impress the ladies (second part optional)
I'm impartial to Define R series. There's plenty of room to work, they're quiet, and they don't draw too much attention. They're not exactly a budget case, but they're only about half the cost of a similar looking Lian Li.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
I'm impartial to Define R series. There's plenty of room to work, they're quiet, and they don't draw too much attention. They're not exactly a budget case, but they're only about half the cost of a similar looking Lian Li.
I think I have one of these but I built my computer over 5 years ago so there might be something better on the market by now.

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:09 PM
SOA

So.... This is where I'm at now:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xd6dgL

The main thing I need to figure out is the motherboard. With 0 plans to overclock, it seems like I don't need to go with the Z270 chipset and could instead use a B250 or H270 chipset with the CPU. However, I'm finding motherboard details and research very confusing. Think it will take a bit longer and more browsing to get a better grasp on it.

I don't understand all the decisions between what ports are/aren't included in different motherboards (stuff like PCI, SLI, audio, M.2 connections), so I'm having trouble differentiating between the different models in the B250 chipset.

The other topic I need to research more is the SATA SSD vs M.2. SSD, don't really understand the difference (I'm sure there are articles out there just haven't gotten there yet) and the positives/negatives of each.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:04 PM

SLI and Crossfire is for using multiple graphics cards in your system. SLI is for NVIDIA cards and Crossfire is for Radeon cards. M2 connections connect directly to the PCI bus which has more bandwidth than a SATA connection. M2 SSD are faster than SATA SSD, but only if they are the PCIe NVMe variety. The PCIe NVMe variety are much more expensive than SATA SSDs.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
So.... This is where I'm at now:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xd6dgL

The main thing I need to figure out is the motherboard. With 0 plans to overclock, it seems like I don't need to go with the Z270 chipset and could instead use a B250 or H270 chipset with the CPU. However, I'm finding motherboard details and research very confusing. Think it will take a bit longer and more browsing to get a better grasp on it.

I don't understand all the decisions between what ports are/aren't included in different motherboards (stuff like PCI, SLI, audio, M.2 connections), so I'm having trouble differentiating between the different models in the B250 chipset.

The other topic I need to research more is the SATA SSD vs M.2. SSD, don't really understand the difference (I'm sure there are articles out there just haven't gotten there yet) and the positives/negatives of each.

I decided to build my own also! Which is ironic since I was the one who was all "hey just buy one! Don't waste the time!"

Anyway, what I learned is that building a computer is a gateway to obsession over tedious details like $10 rebates and marginal improvements in design (Will the GPU be too close to the PSU on my case? Maybe I should have gone with the other case? But maybe that would have been too big! Also it was $10 more expensive! But my case is also uglier. And some people say the fans are loud. Oh god what was I thinking?)

Re: M.2, I hear they are a good bit faster, but SSDs are already so fast that nobody cares.

My build btw, is almost just like yours above, except no HDD, and I pre-ordered the low-end Ryzen. All through new-egg.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post

I decided to build my own also! Which is ironic since I was the one who was all "hey just buy one! Don't waste the time!"

Anyway, what I learned is that building a computer is a gateway to obsession over tedious details like $10 rebates and marginal improvements in design (Will the GPU be too close to the PSU on my case? Maybe I should have gone with the other case? But maybe that would have been too big! Also it was $10 more expensive! But my case is also uglier. And some people say the fans are loud. Oh god what was I thinking?)

Re: M.2, I hear they are a good bit faster, but SSDs are already so fast that nobody cares.

My build btw, is almost just like yours above, except no HDD, and I pre-ordered the low-end Ryzen. All through new-egg.
Welcome to the club
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

The thing is I was really obsessing over getting a good deal, since I'm both cheaptuary and gamer, that I figure I might as well just make my own deal.

Of course, it's going to take longer and be more work, but still better than ebay bidding.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 AM
SOA

The parts are done and ordered last night..... Will be a first build for me!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yGzgm8
Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
The parts are done and ordered last night..... Will be a first build for me!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yGzgm8
First build? Way to make a guy feel old.