Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 04-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

There was a time when TigerDirect had a horrible reputation on rebates. They made a point of adding non-intuitive instructions in the fine print, then denying claims that missed it. One I had required that you sign the rebate form in the margin (no line was provided for it). But if you followed the fine print, you got your rebate eventually.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM
SOA

Everything but the case arrived today! Woohoo! Dunno if I'll be diving straight in with assembly at start or not. Might end up waiting a little before getting going.

So one detail I sort of overlooked, but want to get some thoughts on is air flow/case fans. The Phanteks case I bought has two fans preinstalled, one 120mm intake on the front and one 120mm exhaust on the back. If I want to help prevent dust build up (the case already has filters), I should be creating a positive pressure inside the case. I'm guessing that 1 intake and 1 exhaust is likely either neutral or negative pressure just based on the fact that usually the exhaust fan is usually pretty unobstructed where as the front fan is more likely to have some sort of restriction on air flow either by filters or other case pieces. So my question is, if I want to make sure I have positive pressure air flow, should I just buy one more additional 120mm fan for intake? Or is 2 intake and 1 exhaust not a great combo?
Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM
SOA

Also thoughts on OEM Windows 10 versus the more expensive retail Windows 10 for a new computer build? I initially bought OEM version, but I'm having second thoughts now and wondering if the extra support and/or ability to transfer the software is worth it.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 AM
SOA

I ordered an additional 120mm case fan. Will use both the default Phantek's 120mm fans as front intake and use the newly ordered one as the back exhaust fan. Should create better air flow for the case based on the reading I did last night.

Still not sure on the Windows version though.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
I ordered an additional 120mm case fan. Will use both the default Phantek's 120mm fans as front intake and use the newly ordered one as the back exhaust fan. Should create better air flow for the case based on the reading I did last night.

Still not sure on the Windows version though.
What is your sound set-up (do you plan on running this through TV/monitor speakers, desktop speakers, or headphones)? If you have too many fans running, it can get loud, but if you're using headphones, maybe not a issue for you. I'm sure airflow in my cases are horrible, but I prefer a quiet build over bragging about my temps.

I've never given my windows version too much thought. I've always looked at home vs pro (I like to be able to have remote access to one of my PCs, so I go with pro on that one). Is the only difference between OEM and retail the MS support? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've only had to call MS once when I replaced a motherboard I fried and they had to re-authorize my key.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
What is your sound set-up (do you plan on running this through TV/monitor speakers, desktop speakers, or headphones)? If you have too many fans running, it can get loud, but if you're using headphones, maybe not a issue for you. I'm sure airflow in my cases are horrible, but I prefer a quiet build over bragging about my temps.

I've never given my windows version too much thought. I've always looked at home vs pro (I like to be able to have remote access to one of my PCs, so I go with pro on that one). Is the only difference between OEM and retail the MS support? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've only had to call MS once when I replaced a motherboard I fried and they had to re-authorize my key.
MS support and you might not be able to transfer the software to another PC as OEM versions are "bound" to the motherboard in your computer from what I understand. But when I did some more digging last night I read that you can call Microsoft and say your motherboard died and they usually will transfer if you do change motherboards and still want the OS.

I haven't thought much about sound at all. I don't have any speakers actually, but do have a gaming headset. Monitor doesn't have any speakers on it, so guess headphones is the only way right now.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:19 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I've got a PC I built about 10 years ago. The mobo recently went bad, so I got a similar motherboard to replace it that matched up to my processor (E8400 Wolfsdale). That was the best available processor 10 years ago and now that I've got the new mobo, I just decided to upgrade the processor to help with video encoding.

Well, a latest gen Yorkdale was running $200-400 new on Newegg depending on whether I went middle of the road or high end. I checked on eBay and found a used Yorkdale (Q9550) for $30. Hopefully it'll work out.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Everything but the case arrived today! Woohoo! Dunno if I'll be diving straight in with assembly at start or not.
You don't need the case to get started on a "bench test" of the motherboard and CPU to check that they will boot to BIOS before assembling the whole thing.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 05-03-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Old 05-03-2017, 08:52 PM
CAS

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...11G-P4-6598-KR

Aww yeah. I want to buy this but my CPU will bottleneck it and it's a really bad time to buy CPUs right now

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
https://www.evga.com/products/produc...11G-P4-6598-KR

Aww yeah. I want to buy this but my CPU will bottleneck it and it's a really bad time to buy CPUs right now
LOL @ "Only 2 per household"