Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 PM
It's a funny name.

Default Recommend me a new TV & content streaming device

I know there's already a ton of TV threads, but they're old. I've been out of the TV market for a while (I think my newest TV is a 2012 Panasonic plasma). Looking for suggestions for what's out there now, looking in the 60" range, although bigger is possible if the value is there. It will be connected into a home automation network, so I don't think I really need any SmartTV features.

Second question: we're also looking for a second device to stream content (primarily Netflix and YouTube). Should I just get another AppleTV, or is there something else I should consider?

TIA!!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:50 PM

Is there a price point in general? For pricey go OLED. For cheaper TVs I like the LG brand. Visio gets good reviews, but I'm not a fan.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 PM
It's a funny name.

I'm less concerned about price, and more about value. If one TV is an extra 20%,(or whatever) but there are justifiable, noticeable differences, I'm willing to spend more.

I assume I'll be spending more than $1000
Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I'm less concerned about price, and more about value. If one TV is an extra 20%,(or whatever) but there are justifiable, noticeable differences, I'm willing to spend more.

I assume I'll be spending more than $1000
60-65 inch for roughly 1000 I lean towards LG.
I already mentioned I don't like Visio. And I don't like the low cost Samsung or Sony.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Non-Actuary

This page shows a comparison of apps available on Roku vs. Chromecast vs. Apple TV vs. Fire TV vs. Android TV.
http://www.techhive.com/article/2904...us-player.html

However it's dated last November, so their chart is missing NBC Sports Gold which is available on iOS and FireTV but not Roku.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM

My living room setup is a an LG tv hooked up to a PC. The PC is an expensive alternative to the streaming boxes, but it provides good value to me (I game, stream, and use it as a DVR).

As far as TV's go, I view LG, Samsung, and Sony as more or less equal. But I've never actually owned a Sony TV, and my dad's Samsung just went out after 9 years (he replaced it with another Samsung).
Old 05-19-2017, 10:34 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

We just switched from roku to fire stick... Because my wife happened to have a subscription to both pandora and google music? It made more sense to have one account, and since we share Prime, it might as well be one that I can also get and watch on the TV, so now we have Amazon music unlimited.

ANYWAY. What I mean is they are all the same and they all have the same crap, and just pick whatever goes with what you already have. Because it's cheaper and less hassle to have one account/password.

(Also voice remotes are nice)
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

We use Roku.

It has a lot of the apps for channels I've subscribed to, etc. We watch our ripped/backed up movies via Plex and Vudu, we've got the Bob Ross channel... aaaall the candy. Our most used ones are NHK World, YouTube, and Vevo.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 05-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
We just switched from roku to fire stick... Because my wife happened to have a subscription to both pandora and google music? It made more sense to have one account, and since we share Prime, it might as well be one that I can also get and watch on the TV, so now we have Amazon music unlimited.

ANYWAY. What I mean is they are all the same and they all have the same crap, and just pick whatever goes with what you already have. Because it's cheaper and less hassle to have one account/password.

(Also voice remotes are nice)
We've been on Fire Stick for a while, but got a full-blown FireTV for a new TV. Having both now, I would pick the FireTV box over the stick all day long. The new gen runs very smoothly. Wired network option, Sd card slot, faster processor, and still small and sleek - and still pretty cheap. And 4k, if that mattes to you.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM

you might as well get a 4K TV now. you can get some nice deals if you belong to Costco or Sam's.