Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 12-22-2005, 03:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass
Totally IMO, but many I've talked with share the opinion. It's no secret that Nintendo switched up the chain of events when they realized that they couldn't delay the game any longer, and the "quest" might have been introduced to keep the proper game length. BTW, maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this sidequest essential to finishing the game? I don't mean to spoil anyone who hasn't played this one, but it involves digging into the ocean.

I also felt like the sailing took more time than horseriding in OOT, even with the shortcut you get a little ways into the game. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game at first, but it got to the point of tediousness about halfway through.
I agree the sailing thing was a bit annoying...but also - it allowed for something different. I think traversing any large area (be it land in OOT, or water in WW) is dull...and they just probably figured a very "flooded" world would be different isntead of more of the same.

It really depends on which quest you are talkin about...i'm pretty sure there wasn't too much running back and forth that was required...definetely alot that wasn't required tho...but it's been 2 years since i've played...so who knows...
Old 12-27-2005, 10:04 AM
2006 Grammy Contest Winner

Kinda off-topic, I received a Nintendo DS for Christmas with Meteos and Mario Kart. In the past couple of days, I've had more fun with the DS than my GCN and XBox combined (okay, maybe an exaggeration). Nintendo really knocked it out of the park with this one, and I'll admit I thought it looked ridiculous at first.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:03 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/11/comm...ex.htm?cnn=yes

PS3 sounds like $499

also, blue ray stand alone dvd player for 1800....yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 01-12-2006, 10:19 AM

I'd love to see what the losses per system are if that thing goes for $500. Supposedly the 360 costs around $800 to manufacture.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 AM
SOA

I know, I had heard the same thing for the PS3...around 750-800 to manufacture

Quote:
Old 01-12-2006, 11:59 AM

I hear these things more and more and wonder if maybe Nintendo is right after all. I've heard rumors of a $99-$149 system (with a potential profit, no less!), and maybe the return of a bundled game? Right now the DS is leading PSP, despite being a noticably less powerful system. The games are cheaper to create, the system is more versatile from a control standpoint, and its half the price.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass
I hear these things more and more and wonder if maybe Nintendo is right after all. I've heard rumors of a $99-$149 system (with a potential profit, no less!), and maybe the return of a bundled game? Right now the DS is leading PSP, despite being a noticably less powerful system. The games are cheaper to create, the system is more versatile from a control standpoint, and its half the price.
Also, Nintendo has always had success by toning down their battery consumption. This was the case when Sega came out with their handheld (I forget the name) that took something like 8 batteries and lasted 3 hours compared to the Gameboy that took 4 batteries and lasted 8 hours. This was mainly due to the color, backlit screen vs monochrome, non-backlit screen. "Better" is very subjective in realms such as video games systems...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow
Also, Nintendo has always had success by toning down their battery consumption. This was the case when Sega came out with their handheld (I forget the name) that took something like 8 batteries and lasted 3 hours compared to the Gameboy that took 4 batteries and lasted 8 hours. This was mainly due to the color, backlit screen vs monochrome, non-backlit screen. "Better" is very subjective in realms such as video games systems...
Game Gear... the battery life was brutal on that system. DS gets about 8 hours, PSP gets 3-4, depending on what media is used.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/11/comm...ex.htm?cnn=yes

PS3 sounds like $499

also, blue ray stand alone dvd player for 1800....yikes!
more recent articles say they'll have two versions
$499
$599 - includes 60GB HD (lower cost has 20GB), WiFi, HDMI output for HDTV

honestly, not sure how much having the larger hard drive is worth, wifi is cool, but you could see a lag there for online gaming. HDMI is great, but is it necessary?

oh, and then they drop the big bomb....they're not sure the system will continue to play Blu-Ray DVDs once the copy protection is turned on.

wait, so you're going to put a feature in it that might stop working because of the discs adding a copy protection? that's stupid.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM

of the three, I'm looking forward to the Wii the most.
John 3:16

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one