Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
sticks1839 sticks1839 is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
you realize that I've posted links to articles where the sony execs say that they're not sure if the PS3 will be able to play blu-ray dvds or not now that the blu-ray discs had a second level of copyright protection added to them, right? (I'll look for the post with that link)

btw, I would put all my money on the blu-ray part being the hold up for the release

oh, and the two blu-ray players that bestbuy sells are 1,000 each...so I'm not too sure how Sony plans to sell a game system and blu-ray player for < the cost of a blu-ray player.
Thanks for the article. I try to read every article I can find on this stuff, but I must have missed that one since it was close to exam time. Reading the part you highlighted doesn't have me too concerned though. The copy protection I think they are talking about is one reason for delayed production on the PS3 because they were waiting for the standard to be finalized; and the other is that they weren't sure if they would allow full 1080p HD resolution through the analog outputs(component) to prevent bootlegging. Most Blu-ray discs so far have not utilized this option, and I plan on using the HDMI port anyway, which eliminates this issue.

As for how Sony plans to sell a game system/blu-ray player for so cheap, they will be taking a substantial loss on each system as every game console has done at launch. Sony will most likely be allowing a larger than usual loss on the PS3 per unit because it is much more important for them to get Blu-ray into the mainstream to help win the format war than to quickly make a profit on the PS3 console. They also envision it having a 10 year lifespan and selling 200 million units. Both I think are high estimates, which bode well for us getting a cheaper price now.

The one problem I see is that the PS3 will most likely be an inferior Blu-ray player as the PS2 was not a very good DVD player.

Last edited by sticks1839; 09-14-2006 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: corrections
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar
Wannabe Actuary Wannabe Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in front of a computer screen
Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager
Posts: 32,000
Default

blu-ray costs have come down already...one article about the PS3 talked about a blu-ray player for 1800...best buy has two for 1000 each. that's almost a 50% cut in a matter of months. it won't be long before they drop more.

HD-dvd is selling for 500 and has more discs available already (82 vs 53) the last time I checked best buy online.

honestly, since I'm not about to drop 500 bucks at this point, I haven't looked into much of the details of either at this point.

plus my HDTV is only 720p (about two years old) and only has one HDMI port (my current DVD player)

one nice thing, which was a concern at first, was if they would be able to integrate the old 'red' laser and the blue laser (thus blu-ray) together in one unit....both blu-ray and hd-dvd players are backwards compatible, which means only one player will be needed, which is nice
__________________
Official Poster of Post 1,234,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-14-2006, 04:57 PM
seabass seabass is offline
Member
2006 Grammy Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
Sony will do what it needs to to get Blu-ray in, since their future essentially rides on Blu-ray + PS3. They've failed a number of times at forcing a medium onto customers, and PS3 is the best bet for them to get it going. That's why they'll take a loss (a huge one at that). I'll probably get one of the PS3 and 360 at some point in the future, but I'm just planning on watching how each performs for now.

As for the Wii... I guess it's an okay price. Having Wii Sports as a bundled game is a far better idea than selling it as a stand-alone (calling it 5 games in 1 might be a stretch), but I imagine that Nintendo rationalized raising the price to $250 because of the bundle. I like the max of $10 for Virtual Console games, mainly because Nintendo could have done way worse and charged $15-$20 for no reason. What I didn't like is the price of extra controllers: one source mentioned that the remote and attachment will be sold separately (first mistake), and that together, they'll cost $60 (second mistake). $60! And most games I've noticed use both items together! If that's true, it definitely wouldn't be a good move.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
seabass seabass is offline
Member
2006 Grammy Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
Silver-colored logo and trim [2] No Yes
Okay, I'm sold.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar
Wannabe Actuary Wannabe Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in front of a computer screen
Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager
Posts: 32,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
Sony will do what it needs to to get Blu-ray in, since their future essentially rides on Blu-ray + PS3. They've failed a number of times at forcing a medium onto customers, and PS3 is the best bet for them to get it going. That's why they'll take a loss (a huge one at that). I'll probably get one of the PS3 and 360 at some point in the future, but I'm just planning on watching how each performs for now.

As for the Wii... I guess it's an okay price. Having Wii Sports as a bundled game is a far better idea than selling it as a stand-alone (calling it 5 games in 1 might be a stretch), but I imagine that Nintendo rationalized raising the price to $250 because of the bundle. I like the max of $10 for Virtual Console games, mainly because Nintendo could have done way worse and charged $15-$20 for no reason. What I didn't like is the price of extra controllers: one source mentioned that the remote and attachment will be sold separately (first mistake), and that together, they'll cost $60 (second mistake). $60! And most games I've noticed use both items together! If that's true, it definitely wouldn't be a good move.
see the link I put in post #51...the bundle includes one controller and one nunchuck and that additional controllers will be $40, additional nunchucks will be $20

Quote:
The Wii will ship with one controller and one secondary controller (dubbed the 'nunchuck') for more advanced games. Additional controllers will be sold separately for $40. (Additional nunchucks will sell separately for $20.)
__________________
Official Poster of Post 1,234,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 PM
seabass seabass is offline
Member
2006 Grammy Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
see the link I put in post #51...the bundle includes one controller and one nunchuck and that additional controllers will be $40, additional nunchucks will be $20
I know... that's what I meant in my post. Not including a controller would be awful. But although Nintendo seems to be a fan of games that use only the remote, I could see the nunchuck becoming more popular in the long run.

EDIT: I see where you got the idea that I thought the controller and console were sold separately. I meant that the controller and nunchuck should be sold together, rather than as separate items. I hope they have that option and perhaps discount the price a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 PM
SirVLCIV's Avatar
SirVLCIV SirVLCIV is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 46,905
Default

Given I finally bought a PS2 at the beginning of the summer, I will most likely not join the 'new generation' until after graduation, 2008 (sign on bonus will be going to a combo of vacation/tv/computer upgrade).

When I lived with my parents/brothers (moved out a few years back), we had PS2/XBox/GameCube/and old systems, and I've been computer dominated for the last year or so (Counterstrike), and before that, a couple of MUDS, so it's not like I've been without video game entertainment
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Bama Gambler's Avatar
Bama Gambler Bama Gambler is offline
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 17,183
Default

$600 for a HD-DVD and the ability to surf the net on my plasma tv. I might have to get this and I don't even play video games that much.
__________________

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
sticks1839 sticks1839 is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,528
Default

For you interested gamers, Gamestop stores started pre-ordering PS3 this morning. They have kept this fairly quiet to avoid crazy lines and such, so they may not sell out as quick. The store I went to hadn't fulfilled it's allotment by the time I left. At the very least it's a $600 investment that could net double or triple that on eBay.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:14 AM
rawl316's Avatar
rawl316 rawl316 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence
Favorite beer: Blue Moon
Posts: 13,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson18 View Post
For you interested gamers, Gamestop stores started pre-ordering PS3 this morning. They have kept this fairly quiet to avoid crazy lines and such, so they may not sell out as quick. The store I went to hadn't fulfilled it's allotment by the time I left. At the very least it's a $600 investment that could net double or triple that on eBay.
yep, I found this out. all 4 stores by me are sold out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by win diesel View Post
Yap! Yap! Yap!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.40059 seconds with 10 queries