Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Notes Contributor
CAS

Bottom line: how you dress/look is part of your image, your brand. As a result, you should make an investment in yourself/brand with good fitting, high quality clothes and shoes. Whether those clothes are custom tailored doesn't matter as long as what you wear doesn't look sloppy.

I decided long ago that my image/brand mattered and that I likely wasn't always going to be the smartest person in the room but I would most likely be the best dressed and people tend to take others more seriously if they "look the part." As a result of this, I made and continue to make an investment in myself by buying custom tailored clothing (again, custom tailoring isn't required to "look good"). My everyday work wardrobe is custom tailored as well as my suits and sport coats. Is it expensive? Yes but I like clothes and I especially like clothes that fit me well. Different strokes for different folks and one of my strokes is fashion/clothing.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
SOA

Studying for C

Agree with most the posters.

Tie without jacket = lame.

Jacket without tie = great option.

Shoe's are a great way to increase or decrease formality. Have good looking
shoes and match them to the occasion and your personality.

A suit jacket can be worn like a sports coat if one so desires.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
"Trends" are not a statement of what one can or even should do. Trends change from one season to the next. For a cheap actuary looking to have a minimalist wardrobe, it is best to stick with the classics. The classics may not be trendy, but they rarely go out of style and, if the clothing is quality and fits properly, will stand the test of time. Plenty of "kids" look stupid in their trendy, poorly fitting clothes.

You can never go wrong with one of these

Go BIG or go home!

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

I get but I don't get the "tie without jacket" critique. Obviously if that's what you are planning to wear all day it's lame, why do it?

But in buildings/offices where a lot of people have to wear suit and ties to work, it's extremely common to see guys walking around with no jacket. Going to eat in the caf, etf.

Seems weird to judge that. Why the hell would someone who needs to be in suit and tie wear their jacket all day if they are simply running an errand or going to the bathroom.

Lame.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I did go custom on mine. Price was reasonable ~ 1400. The fabric was Holland and Sherry, definitely something that would stand the test of time. Cheaper fabrics were available but I figured I would be looking to buy something again shortly if I cheaped out. My tailor recommended a few inches above the knee. I admittedly didn't read the articles before I posted them. Are you interested in a referral? I get a free shirt if you buy a suit from him.
I wasn't specifically referring to a coat, but rather "nice" clothes in general.

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
SOA

Studying for C

@Beach Bum

I think that's a fair point, but the cases were that is applicable are far and few between. Where are you ditching your suit jacket that you can't ditch your tie? The only reason I see for ditching your suit jacket is heat, so maybe a walk outside. But if we're in a meeting and you still have your tie on, but no jacket it speaks for itself.

http://www.gq.com/gallery/barack-oba...orable-looks#6

(not sure why the image won't work Obama in shirt and tie no suit)

I'll accept, it can be classy in the right circumstances, but for people looking for general fashion advice, I think it should be avoided.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
I get but I don't get the "tie without jacket" critique. Obviously if that's what you are planning to wear all day it's lame, why do it?

But in buildings/offices where a lot of people have to wear suit and ties to work, it's extremely common to see guys walking around with no jacket. Going to eat in the caf, etf.

Seems weird to judge that. Why the hell would someone who needs to be in suit and tie wear their jacket all day if they are simply running an errand or going to the bathroom.

Lame.
Not sure for others, but agree here. I was talking about people dressing up for a something - say, a client meeting - and that's what they wear, tie-no-jacket for that something; and again, I don't think that's awful but it looks young and a little less professional. There's all kinds of scenarios for the rest of the day - for example, if I wear a coat and tie to a meeting and then I'm out in the heat later, I'll probably loosen the tie and unbutton the top button of my shirt just to let in a bit more air. Doesn't matter to me, I'm walking home, I didn't wear the coat and tie for the walk home I wore it for the meeting.

Many years ago when I was still wearing a coat and tie all day every day, totally normal to walk around the office wearing just the tie, but we'd usually (not always) put on the coat to go to lunch.

Anyway, all my comments were geared toward whatever event you're dressing for, not the rest of the day. JMO.

Westley's career tools: