Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
SOA

College: Temple University

I'm feeling much more comfortable with MC questions, and just started going through WAs. It feels so different, especially for those with Markov Chains deriving and proving stuff. It seems very very difficult comparing to MC.
Am I the only one feel this way?
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

Studying for MLC
College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGu1022 View Post
I'm feeling much more comfortable with MC questions, and just started going through WAs. It feels so different, especially for those with Markov Chains deriving and proving stuff. It seems very very difficult comparing to MC.
It's definitely an adjustment but you get used to it. I don't know which WAs you're using right now, but I feel like starting with the released exams is best as those tend to give you an idea of what to expect. From there you can work the sample ones and WA from other sources.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
SOA

College: Temple University
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
It's definitely an adjustment but you get used to it. I don't know which WAs you're using right now, but I feel like starting with the released exams is best as those tend to give you an idea of what to expect. From there you can work the sample ones and WA from other sources.
I started with the SOA Sample for WA... You are right, instead of being more difficult, it requires more adjustments. Do you feel WA from the past exams easier than SOA Sample?
Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
SOA

Quote:
I started with the SOA Sample for WA... You are right, instead of being more difficult, it requires more adjustments. Do you feel WA from the past exams easier than SOA Sample?
Thanks!
Very hit or miss, depending on the topic. If it's a topic you're comfortable with some of them feel like free points. If it's something you're unsure about it can be pretty brutal.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
SOA

Default MC vs WA

Quote:
I'm feeling the same way. I'm mostly through the TIA problem system questions which felt like they were going okay, but then I attempted a couple WA from SOA released WA questions yesterday and I got disheartened. I guess we have to just keep plugging away!
Old Today, 09:14 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: You See Ellay
Favorite beer: PABST! BLUE RIBBON!

WA is starting to be almost nightmarish. I thought it would just be 'remember those MC questions? Yeah, just show your work for them now.'

------------------------------------------

P FM MFE MLC C VEE Economics VEE Applied Statistics VEE Corporate Finance

I'm currently looking for an entry-level actuarial position. If you could help or are hiring, PM me!
Old Today, 02:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsNoSpoon View Post
WA is starting to be almost nightmarish. I thought it would just be 'remember those MC questions? Yeah, just show your work for them now.'
The MC of the actual exam are ADAPT level 4-5, so it is meant to be relatively easy. If I had to assign a ADAPT level to WA, it would be level 7-8 due to proofs and twists. Definitely allow yourself to practice all WA resources available. WA is the reason why MLC is the lowest pass rate out of all prelims.

Good luck!
FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | IA | 6 | 7 | 8 | FA
APC