Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 PM

Studying for Interim Assessment
College: Université Laval Alumnus
Favorite beer: Rickard's Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittens View Post
I would recommend the TIA seminar, I knew the process for every problem (although did fall into a few tricks, but that was me rushing)
I used TIA and found that there weren't enough practice problems. Got an 11 on PAK and plan on using ASM and ADAPT for the November sitting.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 PM

Studying for QFI Advanced

I used TIA and it was excellent. The best part of the course was the review videos that not only review the material but also have problems that are of the "new exam style." Also, TIA's sample exams are a great preparation for the real exam since many of the problems are very long and tedious. I knew how to solve every single problem on the exam, however I made a few mistakes, and have a 21 on the PAK.

FSA Modules

QFIC QFIA IRM

DMAC FAC
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 PM
CAS AAA

Honestly, if you want to go into the exam confident that you are actually prepared, I would cram 2 week subscription of ADAPT and get to a level 7 regardless of which study materials you used to learn the material.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
One peeve on TIA is that the practice exams only had video solutions, and I don't get why he wouldn't include the PDF since that is sometimes sufficient for the student. When I was working with my friend on questions he missed in those practice exams, it took us longer than necessary for some that were rather trivial problems and we just wanted to see if the instructor used a different methodology.
TIA sample exams really aren't supposed to be shared.

There are PDF solutions of the sample exams. It is the lesson before the first video solution to each exam.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM
SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics
College: Spaceballs U
Favorite beer: RC Cola/Yeti Oak-Aged Stout

Went with both ASM and Coaching Actuaries/ADAPT. Didn't really do ADAPT at all (still sitting at the baseline 3 level) and just did ASM practice problems and PEs. Got a 21 on the PAK, I think.

pit-bull = data

Prelims: P FM MFE MLC C PA
ASA: FAP-IA FAP-FA VS VE VF APC
CERA: ERM-Mod ERM-Exam
FSA: R&T-Mod FinEc-Mod LP-Exam LFV-Exam DMAC FAC
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
SOA

I used a combination of TIA and Adapt. TIA was excellent for learning the material and the round the clock support was so appreciated. Lee answered each and every one of my questions thoroughly and in a timely manner. I too felt like they could have had some more sample exams though. These were hard, but very good for drilling the concepts. I found myself filling in study time with Adapt because I did not have enough TIA sample exams to do.

Adapt was also really good for spotting areas of weakness. I got to an earned level of 7.5 but I still think all the exams I did on Adapt were easier than the real exam. My nerves probably had a great part to play though. I would recommend getting to Adapt level 8 (and not 7 as recommended) to feel comfortable.

16 on PAK. Could have done better if I had just relaxed a bit!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Lagunitas

I used ASM and 1 month of ADAPT. Basically, I worked my way through the ASM material from January through March, and then spent April doing ASM and ADAPT practice exams. Also went through the three released exams (2007, M2012, and N2012) and the SOA 309. I worked my way up to a 10 on ADAPT, but anything over 7 is sufficient, I think.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 AM

TIA Learning + ASM Practice Problems! TIA Learning is great, but to enhance your understanding, you have to do more problems. TIA doesn't have a whole lot of problems, so find more problems, where? ASM manual! This combination is definitely sufficient!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8
College: of Charleston

I don't really understand the idea that the practice problems we have aren't like the real thing... I took a couple of quizzes on ADAPT two days before the exam that totaled 10 problems or so, and two of them were on the real exam (possibly with slight differences). I think they both came from the SOA300, but I'm not sure.

Compared to C, where the real exam looked quite alien my first time through, I think MLC is pretty straightforward about what you're expected to know and how they are going to ask you about it. I didn't think anything on this exam was even particularly tricky.--if it was, the SOA300 had me so prepared I didn't notice.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Goose Island - 312

Combination of Jim D's seminar to learn the material and follow-up with TIA to solidify some concepts and use the end of review sections + Spring 2012, Fall 2012, and about half of the SOA 300 and accidentally drinking too much the night before - 19 on PAK. Life is good.

I spent the entire read-through time in the restroom and got up twice to use the restroom during the exam.

I think the reason why I personally did well is that I had zero stress going in. I wasn't confident but knew that any negativity would cause a sure fail. So, I said, I've got this and remained calm.

Tags
exercises, mlc, mlc spring 2013, soa, study