Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Unknown
College: Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
ASM is sufficient if you can self teach, but I found my buddy's TIA and ADAPT are better if you'd like a little more direct instruction (although Abe is pretty helpful here to deal with issues as well).

One peeve on TIA is that the practice exams only had video solutions, and I don't get why he wouldn't include the PDF since that is sometimes sufficient for the student. When I was working with my friend on questions he missed in those practice exams, it took us longer than necessary for some that were rather trivial problems and we just wanted to see if the instructor used a different methodology.

Definitely, I only got benefit with PDF solutions for P from TIA (the 4 free PEs). Downloadable PDF is the most convenient to use...without any limit.

So unhappy to hear that they don't have PDF for other exams......then I won't buy it! And I was told that ADAPT doesn't have PDF neither...disadvantage!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

But we do have PDF solutions and PDF versions of the exam.

Also although we have "limits" on our seminars, you get 6 months from the date you register and if you don't pass in that 6 months, then you get another 6 months for free. So in essence you get 1 year to pass your exam. All updates are included for free. So even if the syllabus changes (or style of exam changes like the upcoming MLC Spring 2014), then you still have what you need.

The seminars come with lots of PDFs -- the handouts from the lecture (basically like a manual), summary sheets, problem sets, solutions, etc.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
But we do have PDF solutions and PDF versions of the exam.

Also although we have "limits" on our seminars, you get 6 months from the date you register and if you don't pass in that 6 months, then you get another 6 months for free. So in essence you get 1 year to pass your exam. All updates are included for free. So even if the syllabus changes (or style of exam changes like the upcoming MLC Spring 2014), then you still have what you need.

The seminars come with lots of PDFs -- the handouts from the lecture (basically like a manual), summary sheets, problem sets, solutions, etc.
Really??? When I first time to ask if there are downloadable PDF solutions on ADAPT...on FM forum...I was told by someone (seemed like who is from ADAPT) with "NO" as an answer. See the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Salt View Post

ADAPT also was created to simulate the CBT-style of the actual exam, which of course builds its exams from a large question bank written by multiple authors. Since we wanted to simulate actual CBT-exam conditions, we decided to create ADAPT as an online tool, and since the exams are not set in stone, it did not make sense for us to provide PDFs for each question.

If you are not familiar with how ADAPT works, I encourage you to learn more here: http://www.coachingactuaries.com/Exams/ADAPT.aspx. Also, if you ever have any questions about ADAPT, you can usually get the quickest response from support@coachingactuaries.com.
Thus, I gave up for a trial. So ADAPT just changed recently??? Or someone gave me wrong information???
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Bama Gambler says TIA has pdfs. TIA and ADAPT are totally separate operations.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Unknown

I thought Bama Gambler was talking about ADAPT........I just messed up.......but...

because I saw another post by ditkaworshipper
One peeve on TIA is that the practice exams only had video solutions, and I don't get why he wouldn't include the PDF since that is sometimes sufficient for the student.

So I confused by the two posts......however, I love the free PEs of P from TIA with PDF solutions.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Studying for Interim Assessment
College: Université Laval Alumnus
Favorite beer: Rickard's Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007NewHere View Post
I thought Bama Gambler was talking about ADAPT........I just messed up.......but...

because I saw another post by ditkaworshipper
One peeve on TIA is that the practice exams only had video solutions, and I don't get why he wouldn't include the PDF since that is sometimes sufficient for the student.

So I confused by the two posts......however, I love the free PEs of P from TIA with PDF solutions.
The Practice Exams have PDF versions, but their full solutions have video versions only. What they have for PDF solutions is answer keys (A, B, C, D, E) for each question.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianopolis View Post
The Practice Exams have PDF versions, but their full solutions have video versions only. What they have for PDF solutions is answer keys (A, B, C, D, E) for each question.
False. As James has said, there are full PDF versions of the solutions. They are in the same place as the video solutions.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Clearly the PDF solutions are not in a good place. I'll put them in the same place as the answer key.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:32 PM
SOA

College: University of Karachi
Favorite beer: Non-alcoholic

Hi,

I don't know if this has been answered somewhere in this forum, so I will ask anyway.

A friend of mine sat for MLC in May13. He used the ASM 11th Ed. (1st printing) only. He did not do well on the exam. He advised me to get another manual etc. because he felt that some things weren't very clear in the manual. My question: Should I give another manual a try (which one)? What about ASM 12th ed.? is buying the ASM 12th Ed really worth it? How mush has the material improved in the 12th Ed.? I know Mr. Weishaus post on his website regarding this issue but I wanted to get the students opinion.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burhan View Post
Hi,

I don't know if this has been answered somewhere in this forum, so I will ask anyway.

A friend of mine sat for MLC in May13. He used the ASM 11th Ed. (1st printing) only. He did not do well on the exam. He advised me to get another manual etc. because he felt that some things weren't very clear in the manual. My question: Should I give another manual a try (which one)? What about ASM 12th ed.? is buying the ASM 12th Ed really worth it? How mush has the material improved in the 12th Ed.? I know Mr. Weishaus post on his website regarding this issue but I wanted to get the students opinion.

Thanks.
I used the 12th edition of the ASM and felt very prepared going in. That was the only thing I used to study with besides 7 days of ADAPT. The 11th edition shouldn't be too different, but if the student is more of a visual learner and likes lectures, then perhaps the TIA is best for him.

Tags
exercises, mlc, mlc spring 2013, soa, study