Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
This should be considered. Assuming northeast, NYC > Philly >>>>>>>>>>Princeton>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CT & anywhere else.
Care to elaborate?

Is it work (e.g. having more choices of employers), or life? (you know, )
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrovertedactuary View Post
One benefit of the WTW offer is that it is in consulting early in your career. I think it will be easier for you to switch from consulting to insurance later on than insurance to consulting if you decide you want to move between the two. It will be hard for you to get a job in consulting down the road if you have no experience in consulting. However, insurers won't care that much if you have no insurance experience.
Uh no, signed an FSA that switched to consulting :p

Granted it wasn't easy, but your industry knowledge is very valuable.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
They do have Willis Tower. Only a small, insecure company would find the need to have the naming rights to a building that large.
What if you have your name physically on the building, perhaps overlooking the Chicago River
Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
What if you have your name physically on the building, perhaps overlooking the Chicago River
Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

My advice is that people have a much tougher time getting exams passed in consulting, and frankly depending on your office, it may not be a priority. Insurance tends to focus more on the exam hierarchy. Exams will be your key to increasing income in your early career, but the skills picked up in consulting may be key to being more than just a donkey, even if you end up back in insurance. Also, consulting doesn't ALWAYS pay more.

Without exams, don't expect many organic pay increases. Anecdotally, promotions are very slow to come.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
Care to elaborate?

Is it work (e.g. having more choices of employers), or life? (you know, )
Both.

NYC and Philly have tons of employers and things to do. You can either live in the city or commute in. There are also lots of employers outside both cities so you can live more suburban if you choose to do so later without relocating completely.

Princeton has Munich RE. Not sure about how many other employers are in the area. It's in the middle of NYC and philly so you could hedge and live halfway to one of them and not have to relocate. I don't know much about what to do there, but I imagine it's generic affluent suburbia.

Hartford
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Trump Tower is the tallest building in Chicago. Believe me.

Willis Tower being the tallest is #FakeNews

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
Boss can make a bigger difference than the company. Working for a crappy quasi-abusive boss at a great company is WAAAAY worse than working for a great boss at a decent company.
100% agree with this for those starting out.

Would be interesting to hear how much people think this matters as your career progresses. Let's say five years down the line. It's always going to be a good thing to have a good boss no matter what stage of career you're at but how much does it really matter at that stage?

At that stage you're self directed and likely a boss yourself so given good bosses are hard to find, is it worth pursuing with a job even if your boss is tolerable? Is nice and tries their hardest but is nothing special? Which by definition would describe most people.

Last edited by Antzlck; 12-07-2017 at 11:55 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
LOL my first thought here was "Is math major implying that CS works for Kemper? Because I don't think that's true, but I guess it could be". Obv Shivam correctly interpreted it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Trump Tower is the tallest building in Chicago. Believe me.

Willis Tower being the tallest is #FakeNews
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 AM

College: About to be a super senior

What's the environment like? Munich Re life is in atlanta. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat conservative? going into consulting from college might be a better transition since people are less uptight. I think this is actually pretty important especially for a first job. I have found that lots of actuarial people at insurance companies are usually super conservative and pretty uptight. I can't joke with them like I joke with non-actuarial people in the corporate world. Like it's pretty strange. maybe im just unlucky.

Also, what kind of work will you be doing and how interesting do they sound? I wonder if in consulting you will be doing a lot of "bitchwork" like reviewing hundreds of exhibits and formatting shit all day?

Also, what is the environment for passing exams like? Insurance is generally more exam friendly. Also, it's easier to become credentialed in SOA than in CAS. I have seen a number of people that dropped out of actuarial path due to not being able to pass exams. So, this is actually an important thing to think about.

Munich Re is the biggest reinsurance company and WTW is the biggest actuarial consultancy. I've never worked at either but have interviewed at both (a couple of P&C offices of WTW and Munich Re life). Given that you feel comfortable with the people and the culture, I would probably lean towards Munich Re, because if you have munich re on your resume and have a decent exam progress, you would have a good amount of options (insurance and consulting). I'd be a little worried about doing consulting as EL due to a high possibility of too much bitchwork.

Oh, but, if the WTW job is in like nyc or something, then go for WTW.