Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Non-Actuary

I have QQ and shove so I can get called by 98.

The real question is, what part of your range are you checking back the turn? Obviously it's a better card for villain's range but your check there projects weakness. But you can't fold your entire turn checking range, so I'd say call all your QK and QJ and QT hands. Fold your Jacks tens and nines.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:20 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
1 / 3 game. Hero has ~$650. Villain has been mostly loose aggro and about $400 in stack at this time.

There are two limpers. Hero makes it $20 from the CO. The BB (seat 8 loose aggro) calls and the 2nd limper calls. 3 to the flop of Qd 8c 3d. Limper checks and hero bets $35. Seat 8 calls and limper folds. Turn is 8h. Seat 8 checks and hero checks. River is 3h. Seat 8 thinks for a bit and then fires $55. Hero?

What hands do you call with that you played this way?
What hands do you raise with?
Guessing prospective hands gone fishin'. This is why I'm starting to hate $1/2 and $1/3. Their preflop action shows almost nothing about their hands. I've seen AA go unraised.

Sounds like a diamond draw that got a free turn card and is bluffing the river. Or a set 8's being slowplayed and the river bet is made to look like a bluff.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:37 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

The turn doesn’t help hero’s range so for pot control checking back is smart play as don’t want to get raised off of the hand. The plan was to call any river not containing an ace or a diamond. Board pairs again but really not many hands have a 3 in them. So what is he betting on river? Thinking he would bluff at anything based on his style of play so far. Hero pretty much snapped called him as don’t think he bets a Q on the river there. So it’s either a boat or air. Hero had Qh Jh.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
The turn doesnít help heroís range so for pot control checking back is smart play as donít want to get raised off of the hand. The plan was to call any river not containing an ace or a diamond. Board pairs again but really not many hands have a 3 in them. So what is he betting on river? Thinking he would bluff at anything based on his style of play so far. Hero pretty much snapped called him as donít think he bets a Q on the river there. So itís either a boat or air. Hero had Qh Jh.
Which is more likely?

Villain has an 8, or Villain has a flush draw?

My vote is for flush draw. So bet the turn so as not to give him another free card. If your plan is to bet or call any bet from villain on all safe rivers, you are saying you think your hand is worth two streets. I agree. Make those two streets the flop and turn. If he calls you on the turn, you have position so you can check back safe rivers for pot control, or if he takes the uber-donk line c/c c/c bet you can see what happens.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:09 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

2/5 hand @ Potawatomi

2nd hand at the table, villain sticks in 1100 pre 3-way with AQhh. board ran out 974-Q-Q to crack AA and KK lol #poker

I raise a limper to 25 in MP with AA. I have 480'ish, villain calls behind (covers), 2 others call.

Flop KT6ss
I continue for 60, he snap-raises to 180. I call.

Turn 3s I check he snap-checks (not to overuse "snap" but it's accurate here and influenced my river decision)

River 2. I check he quickly puts me all-in for 275. Is now ostentatiously projecting comfort, adding to other conversation, responding to the other chicago guy's location with "I used to own a condo there" etc. Hero?
Old 07-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Do you have the As? That would somewhat influence decision.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Do you have the As? That would somewhat influence decision.
My bad, meant to put that...two red aces
Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 PM

3bet shove the flop. He can't have KK or TT or you would have found out preflop. If he has 66 or KT that's poker. If he calls you with a flush draw and hits, that's poker.

As played, I think you have to bluff catch here. Maybe he has the As and knows you can't have the nuts. Also, there are hands he could be betting for value that you beat, like AK.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialfury13 View Post
2/5 hand @ Potawatomi

2nd hand at the table, villain sticks in 1100 pre 3-way with AQhh. board ran out 974-Q-Q to crack AA and KK lol #poker
bad beat jackpot??

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
3bet shove the flop. He can't have KK or TT or you would have found out preflop..
oh is that how poker works

never know from the games I play