Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

College football and the bachelor on Mondays, Friday nights... I think Urkel is still on? Comment on the reaction to Round 1, spoilered in case you didn't see it...

Spoiler:
I'm a little disappointed by so many people saying "Wow it was so close! Only 200 points (points?) different!" Umm, yes, because James bet it all, and Ken bet just enough to win if he got it correct, or win if they both got it wrong.

BTW, very funny coincidence. The Star Trek/MLK answer (Nichelle Nichols) was also the feature on the Drunk History rerun an hour later, with Jaleel White as MLK
Old 01-08-2020, 11:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbitrary View Post
College football and the bachelor on Mondays, Friday nights... I think Urkel is still on? Comment on the reaction to Round 1, spoilered in case you didn't see it...

Spoiler:
I'm a little disappointed by so many people saying "Wow it was so close! Only 200 points (points?) different!" Umm, yes, because James bet it all, and Ken bet just enough to win if he got it correct, or win if they both got it wrong.

BTW, very funny coincidence. The Star Trek/MLK answer (Nichelle Nichols) was also the feature on the Drunk History rerun an hour later, with Jaleel White as MLK
Spoiler:

Yeah, the final dollar amount is an artifice of the final betting, but it was still a very close game with a lot of lead changes.

Very satisfying first round.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:46 AM
CAS

Spoiler:
I was shocked at Brad getting 3 DDs wrong. Didn't see that coming.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbitrary View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It WAS close, in that it came down to the luck of daily double identification. If James gets one of the Double Jeopardy DDs in the first match, or one in the second match, he likely takes it from Ken.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Not Brad's best day, obviously. But the questions were much more difficult than usual, even for a tournament.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Not Brad's best day, obviously. But the questions were much more difficult than usual, even for a tournament.

Bruce
Yeah, those questions that were essentially 3 trivia questions in one - those were tough! It's bad enough when they have 2-in-1, but for some reason, the jump to 3-in-1 was much greater in difficulty than I would have guessed.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post

Bruce

Except, strangely, for the first game's final jeopardy which was arguably the easiest question of the whole night, if you have any NT knowledge at all.

That was a complete gimme for a Mormon. Probably for Brad Rutter, too, given he's from Lancaster, PA. The only one who I thought had a chance of missing it was heathen gambler James (especially when he shrugged at the camera), but he nailed it, too. Just a bizarre question for a final jeopardy in this tournament.

Last edited by SamTheEagle; 01-08-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Old 01-08-2020, 11:56 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yeah, those questions that were essentially 3 trivia questions in one - those were tough! It's bad enough when they have 2-in-1, but for some reason, the jump to 3-in-1 was much greater in difficulty than I would have guessed.
Those guys are just so fast, too. Several of them I was on the cusp of getting the third part and they're already moved onto the next answer.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:20 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

Yeah, I can't process the 3-in-1s fast enough to even have a shot
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 PM

I'm rooting for Ken. Going in, I thought James had a big advantage over the other two because of his age, but I didn't realize that he's only 6 years younger than Brad. I thought the age gap was larger