Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-12-2020, 01:43 PM
CAS

Yeah if you can find clips of Brad's past play you'll see why people were high on him
Old 01-13-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
I don't think Brad is struggling b/c he doesn't know the answers, but the other guys are just a bit faster on the buzzer.
I agree there, but he has given incorrect answers more than anyone else, IIRC.
And the fact that he been the first to buzz in the fewest times means his ratio is way higher than the others as well. This has really not been his tournament.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM
SOA AAA

OK, we've watched some of the GOAT episodes, and yes, these clues are harder on average than the regular or TOC shows. I know maybe 60% of these.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-13-2020, 01:08 PM

Yeah, going back to the regular shows, I think I could have beat all 3 of the contestants on last Friday's show with those clues. They didn't do that well and I did especially well.

Pretty sure I'm at barely 50%, if that, on the GOAT tournament.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 PM

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j?fbc...ddsmzxvuanH5Y4

Jeopardy! contestant testing coming up Jan. 28-30.

Did anyone mention how James implied he used Ken's books to prepare for Jeopardy!?

Know thy enemy?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Yeah, weird to me (a non-watcher, so this all comes from ignorance) that people have such a high opinion of Brad, who frankly I'm not sure he's better than I am, based on the three times (this week) I've seen him. Haven't seen any of the ToC games, but wondering how many of his impressive wins were against sub-par competition.
What's different about Brad is he's from the era where you were 5 and done on non-Tournament Jeopardy. So while his initial run was probably pretty impressive, his feat wasn't exactly unique, and you had no reason to know he was someone special like Ken or James.

And then they did this big tournament of Champions, where a bunch of past champions were all put up against each other, with two of them outlasting the competition and winning the privilege of going up against Ken at the end, and Brad came out of nowhere and destroyed Ken in that final matchup.

So that made Brad famous, and they found ways to put those two up against each other a couple times after that, and Brad always came out ahead (except in the Watson match, which doesn't count).

So, yeah, I've been rather shocked at how poorly he's doing.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
...Brad always came out ahead ...
So, yeah, I've been rather shocked at how poorly he's doing.
So, was there a difference? In particular, people have commented that the questions are harder - is Brad just prepping for "normal" difficulty questions (and then beating Ken on the buzzer), and because they've gotten more obscure, more specific, and more complex*, he doesn't know enough?

Not sure if there's any noticeable difference - maybe Ken just prepared better because he realized he was resting on his laurels when Brad previously beat him? Anything? Just seems weird to me, and again this all comes from my own ignorance, not telling you that you're wrong, obv.

*Not sure what word I want here, but thinking of some of the questions that involve "solving" more than "remembering" - like the triple rhymes, or the before&during&after
Old 01-13-2020, 07:50 PM

Wow, I'll have to go back and rewatch this. Jeopardy! had an error in their Friday game and corrected it but failed to get the correction into the broadcast.

He answered with Bethlehem and she answered with Palestine. They were looking for the current day country where the church they described is. I would have answered with Israel but it seems the decided to throw out the question and replace it. This is the kind of editing that you usually don't notice and which they wouldn't have acknowledged accept that they messed up the edit.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-...kE-RU4bv4uHewo
Old 01-13-2020, 08:00 PM

Ok prediction: ken wins on Wednesday. In the concluding minute of the show, Alex announces retirement and offers Ken the job.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Ok prediction: ken wins on Wednesday. In the concluding minute of the show, Alex announces retirement and offers Ken the job.
That would be interesting. Odds makers probably don't have that too high up.