Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 09-10-2019, 01:52 PM
SOA AAA

That is why asked about chopping. Just luck of the draw (literally!) at that point.

Or you reconfigure the payouts so there is less difference in 1st v 2nd.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for MAS-I

I'd rather get chips in ahead than behind, especially when playing at a home game with friends. K7, I'd check that, but then again, I'm a fish.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsATrap View Post
So at ~14BB each, your philosophy is jam or nothing? I feel like there is SOME room to play a game that isn't just all in or fold.
yeah 14BB is really borderline for actually playing a hand. raising will get you into exactly your situation a lot of the time. would prefer to force the other player to make the tough decision.

with a stronger hand like AJ or so you might have more room to play and feel better about calling the shove.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Home game host should slow down the blind structure a little bit
Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Non-Actuary

no reason to raise OOP with 14 BBs to 3x. You could shove, but unless he's limping a lot of hands it's probably marginal. So I'd just check.

The big reason not to raise 3 BBs OOP here is because while you might have a marginal preflop advantage vs. his cards (it's a decent hand, King is a high card), unless you flop a pair what do you do? You'll have 11 bbs with a 6 bb pot. So pretty much any bet you make is pot committing in a way. Even if the flop is like 27J what do you do?
Old 09-11-2019, 04:12 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
That is why asked about chopping. Just luck of the draw (literally!) at that point.

Or you reconfigure the payouts so there is less difference in 1st v 2nd.
Funny enough, when it got to heads up, someone had suggested that we consider a chop, but having me outchipped 3 to 1, the other guy was not remotely interested.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Home game host should slow down the blind structure a little bit
you forgot to log in as DTNF
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Non-Actuary

This is probably just me not knowing short-handed call/push tables that well, but I always have trouble figuring out what to do in spots like this. Situation: online game, down to 5, top 3 pay. Blinds are 150/300 with a 40 ante. Hero has 9400, assume everyone else has similar stack sizes.

(1) Hero is UTG with A-Q. Raise to 750.
Villain on the button makes it 1600. Folds around to Hero.
(2) ???

Thoughts on either decision point? I ended up just folding, thinking I don't want to just call and be OOP, and a shove didn't feel right either. Didn't have too much info on villain other than my perception of him as a solid player.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
This is probably just me not knowing short-handed call/push tables that well, but I always have trouble figuring out what to do in spots like this. Situation: online game, down to 5, top 3 pay. Blinds are 150/300 with a 40 ante. Hero has 9400, assume everyone else has similar stack sizes.

(1) Hero is UTG with A-Q. Raise to 750.
Villain on the button makes it 1600. Folds around to Hero.
(2) ???

Thoughts on either decision point? I ended up just folding, thinking I don't want to just call and be OOP, and a shove didn't feel right either. Didn't have too much info on villain other than my perception of him as a solid player.
Was this like a 6 person SNG where half of the people double up? Just wondering based on the stack sizes and number of people left when compared to the blinds and antes. Also just curious, because those types of games have different strategies.

Anyway, you have to put like 850 into like a 3000 pot? Not sure if I did the math right, but I think it should be something like that. If so, I think you should probably call based on the pot odds while having AQ (maybe 4-bet - but he's 3-betting your UTG raise, so I would expect a tight range and not so sure I would want to 4-bet with AQ). Maybe could fold in a double up SNG, but I don't know the strategy in those so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:05 AM

Curious if I misplayed...

MTT, we're in the cash. 81 paid, about 30 left. I have about average chip stack of 150k (about 30BBs). Cutoff raises to 11k (blinds are 2500 / 5000 with ante like 500 or something). CO has large stack, about twice mine.

I'm in the SB with JJ. I end up making a big re-raise (pot size bet), thinking CO is going to be pretty loose with the large stack and position. CO jams, I call. AK suited puts me out.

A win here and I'm one of the tournament leaders though. Was this the right play, or should I have just called pre-flop? Should I have folded to the jam (don't think so, or else I'm always going to get pushed around if I'm folding jacks).

Also note that I won the prior two hands, and both were against this same villain. I doubled up pre-flop with AK vs QQ (from about 50k to 100k chips) and then won a hand at showdown with A4 (added another 50k chips). Not sure if this factors in to the villain's play on the hand above. Also, mentally for me, it felt like I was playing with "house money" at this point, because I had about 5BB not too long ago before tripling up, and now I have a shot at being close to chip leader. So my attitude was definitely nothing to lose / let's just go for it, which might be the right attitude, but maybe it was too reckless.

On the fence about whether a call or a 3-bet was the best play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.