Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 09-19-2018, 06:58 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialfury13 View Post
Not sure there's much to discuss, but had a funny one the other night at 2-5. Flatted a guy's CO open in the BB with KK
Flop Qs 8s 5c
I check, guy continues for 30, I raise to 110, he ships in 290 in zero seconds, I call

He flips up KJc, stands up, and says "woops, thought there were two clubs"

7c-9c weeeeee
live poker is rigged.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
live poker is rigged.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
New H4D. 1 3 NL

Hero stack ~ $340.
Hero raises utg to $12 with Ac Qd. UTG+1, UTG+2, CO, Button, and BB call. Flop comes out Ad Qc 6c. Check to hero and he bets $50. Two folds and then CO raises to $140. Folds back to hero. Villain playing about 60% of hands so far. Loose preflop but not afraid to put in money post flop. Should hero:

1) Call and see the turn (out of position)
2) Shove all in
3) Fold
With Ace and queen blockers, its more unlikely villain has AA or QQ. And with Ac, it takes away the nut draw. So its seems like he has KcJc, KcTc, 66, or AQ. Did eventually ship it in and villain instacalled. Turn was the 6s. River Qh. If the game was deeper stacked, can argue to call flop and see the turn. With the 6 on turn, it is now less likely that villain has quads (yet possible obv). Would be able to see how villain acted/bet on the turn if that was the case.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
With Ace and queen blockers, its more unlikely villain has AA or QQ. And with Ac, it takes away the nut draw. So its seems like he has KcJc, KcTc, 66, or AQ. Did eventually ship it in and villain instacalled. Turn was the 6s. River Qh. If the game was deeper stacked, can argue to call flop and see the turn. With the 6 on turn, it is now less likely that villain has quads (yet possible obv). Would be able to see how villain acted/bet on the turn if that was the case.
Read: tough beat. Live poker is rigged
Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 AM
SOA AAA

Uh, so what did he have??

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 09-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Uh, so what did he have??
He snapped with AQo. Ended up chopping.

Don't think he folds even if just called and then shipped it in on the turn. But have noticed players at these micro stakes do tend to be more reluctant to call an all in or call it off. This player probably would still have snapped ICO.

It was just the decision if you can ever fold top 2 on this type of board with a 115x BB stack to start the hand. And honestly most players don't raise as much as they should, so it polarizes their range. Thats why the thought of folding entered mind but since cash game think you still gotta put it in.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Still have a hand in my mind from when I played live 2/5 NLHE a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy with my decision as far as the result goes, but I'm wondering how this should be played correctly (over the long term).

Dealt TT - unfortunately don't remember exactly where I stood in the initial betting. Don't recall if there was a straddle or not - but there were like 5 of us that saw the flop. Believe we all put in like $10 (might've even been $5 - but think $10). I remember thinking that as soon as I put in pre-flop that it was a mistake not to raise - there were way too many people getting in the hand, meaning that anyone could have anything.

Flop was 9 T J rainbow. I made a bet of about pot-size (might've been a raise), then after a fold or two, one guy raises all-in, and another raises him all-in, coming back to me. The first raise I wanna say the guy had like $150(?) in, and after him the guy probably had a few hundred. I had them both covered. $150 guy was kinda loose and crazy, but few hundred guy seemed fairly conservative.

My thought process was at least one of them has got to have a straight. There was no question in my mind since so many people saw the flop, and I painfully folded the set. Turns out they both had 7 8.

But was this a bad fold long-term? Scared thinking? I know some people basically say to never fold sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:50 PM
SOA AAA

Not a bad fold, long-term. Figure out the odds. You have 10 outs after the flop, and 13 outs after the turn. Try to remember the pot sizes.

From what I can tell, we can suppose a min-raise of $10 and four callers. So $50 and maybe a stray blind, pre-flop.
You bet about $50 post-flop.
So, $100 in the pot after your bet, before the first all-in.
First guy re-raises all-in for $150.
So, $250.
Second guy re-raises all-in for $300.
So, $550.
You have to call $250.
That's 45%.
I think the odds are 38% or so, assuming no straight-flush draws.
Long-term, good fold.
For short-term entertainment and excitement, though, well, that depends on your utility curve.

(Someone check my work.)

Bad pre-flop decision, though. Depending on your position and the table's propensity to assume that someone calling any raise means "pot (and implied) odds!" -- i.e., you raise to $25 or so, one player calls, and the rest call, too -- you definitely want those drawing hands to fold. Depends a lot on the table, though. Only takes one maniac to get the whole table to join in.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Thanks for replying. Your numbers are probably pretty accurate. Yea, I immediately knew I made a mistake pre-flop. That might have made me more likely to fold - having that mistake fresh in my mind.
Quote:
Old 04-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Also, I showed my cards on the fold, which I almost never do. Not sure if that was a +EV move (this guy's a good player, I need to be careful around him) or a -EV move (who folds a set? this guy's a nit; I shall play him aggressively and bully him). Too much variance from how one player to the next would view me and adjust accordingly, I guess, to really say.
Quote: