Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
This is supposedly the best (LG C7P) and this place has it for about $1500 less than Amazon. Anyone know what's up with that?

http://www.joesav.com/LG-LED-HDTV-p/...QaAi9NEALw_wcB
The folks on slickdeals.net say that Joe's AV is one of the notorious bait-and-switch websites, which will never honor their own price. They call to upsell you expensive warranties and accessories, and if you don't buy those, then they suddenly say they don't have your TV in stock and don't know when they'll get it. Complete sleazeballs, apparently.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I believe that in the USA, OTA networks don't even broadcast in 1080p yet.

If you play games, the new consoles (Xbox, PS4, and Wii U) are probably going to be doing 1080p for the rest of their run.

I don't know if any streaming services (Prime, Netflix, Vudu) have any designs on streaming 4K anytime soon. Youtube already does, but I think their apps for devices like Playstation, Apple Tv, and Chromecast are stuck at 1080p, at least for now.

Depending upon the avenue through which you consume your media, you probably have a several years until you start getting 4K content.

By then 4K will probably be a dime a dozen like 1080p is now.

I imagine that earlier adopters of "HD Ready" TVs got burned pretty bad because as good or better TVs were much cheaper by the time 1080p became ubiquitous.
2.5 years later and I'm still not sure how much closer to 4K adoption I am...

Games - Sony and Microsoft are making boxes that achieve 4Kish games (mostly 1800p with up-scaling techniques), but that's $400 more for a box that doesn't even play new games. Nintendo's flagship game this year runs at 900p.

Streaming - Streaming services are jumping on board with 4K, which is nice. But 4K bluray bit rates still dwarf what Netflix 4K does. So 4K Netflix at home isn't going to look as good as the 4K demo bluray that Best Buy is running in stores.

Quote:
Just bought a new (1080p) TV. While my old TV was also 1080p, the new one is clearly better for other reasons. Deeper blacks, etc.

Honestly what I notice (or don't notice) the most is the thin bezel though. My last Tv was purchased in like 2010 or something and had a thick bezel. When watching the old TV, I am cognizant of the television itself. When watching the new one, I'm only focused on what is on screen.
I'm still really happy with the TV I mentioned here. The thin bezels are, and always will be great.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
If you want to stave off upgraditis, get 4K + HDR + OLED to cover all bases. But you might have to wait a year to get a price you'll like.
Is OLED necessarily superior? I find that the LG sets still seem to "crush the blacks," though certainly not nearly as badly as they did in last year's models. The Sony TVs do a lot better job of not wiping out shadow details. But I don't want to pay $4k for a Sony OLED, especially when the picture on their X900E LCD is so very nearly close to identical, and sometimes sells for less than half.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM
SOA

Quote:
2.5 years later and I'm still not sure how much closer to 4K adoption I am...

Games - Sony and Microsoft are making boxes that achieve 4Kish games (mostly 1800p with up-scaling techniques), but that's $400 more for a box that doesn't even play new games. Nintendo's flagship game this year runs at 900p.

Streaming - Streaming services are jumping on board with 4K, which is nice. But 4K bluray bit rates still dwarf what Netflix 4K does. So 4K Netflix at home isn't going to look as good as the 4K demo bluray that Best Buy is running in stores.

I'm still really happy with the TV I mentioned here. The thin bezels are, and always will be great.
My last 1080p was less than $600 for a 55", and the picture is surprisingly good. My wife keeps wondering if we would notice that much difference, and if we don't, will I feel like I wasted my money.

So maybe I need to give it another year...
Old 09-18-2017, 12:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
just wait 5 years then they'll have 16K UUHD tvs
yeah, but there won't be any 16K content for at least 7 years
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Many experts say that HDR is a more noticeable upgrade than 4K. It seems that Dolby Vision is a specific version of HDR that may be worth making sure your TV can do.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/viz...ries-xled-2017

This has surprisingly good ratings for the price.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM
SOA

A reputable dealer on eBay is selling the 65" version of this TV for just $999. It's refurbished, and it's last year's model, but for that price...

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930d
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Non-Actuary

With prices continuing to drop, and some 65-inch 4K TVs available brand new for under $1000, I started considering buying a 65-incher to replace my projector.

But then I got information overload with all the various high-definition standards involved, which don't seem to have settled and stabilized yet ... HDR10 vs HDR+ vs Dolby Vision vs active HDR, WCG, HDMI x.x and HDCP x.x, Rec.2020, blah blah blah. And then to benefit from that your content devices and discs or streaming services have to support it. And I'd also need a new AV receiver which supports it...and so on. And some TVs don't implement HDR that well, so I may need to get up in the $1500+ range to get the quality I want.

So for now it's back to the projector.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:41 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

If/when I relocate I may give away my 50" vizio and get some kind of OLED/4k. I got an apple TV with which I stream DirecTVNow and I understand some of the content is 4k. *shrug*

Exams or whatever
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

shopping for a second small tv. 43" 4k 120hz is just $100 more, so at least for low sizes I don't see why you'd go 1080p now. Don't own any 4k now, but as I understand Netflix 4k is extra.

PS, hopefully you're not buying anything below 120hz unless you like soap operas and things that suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary