Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Also gotten into Horizon lately. That game is pretty sweet. Not sure how far I am through it (probably not that far) but I still constantly sneak around afraid of pretty much everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Started Firewatch. The opening is an emotional gut punch that I was not ready for. WTF?! I was expecting a walking simulator where you are a lookout in a park forest. Instead, I got the video game equivalent of the opening of Up.
Yeah. I was surprised at how effective they bring you up to speed, and get you fully invested, on the main character's background through the "create your own adventure" solely through text.

Unfortunately, that was the best part of the game for me I did enjoy it overall, but it definitely peaked early for me. I'm kinda curious how different the story can turn out though. Maybe I should check out Youtube.

Spoiler:
I chose to play very much committed to my wife. So no flirting with the boss. Curious if those dialogue options make things more interesting.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

playing through Hollow Knight (a metroidvania, heavier on the metroid side) after a long gaming hiatus. it's a gorgeous game, and I may be jaded but I haven't gotten this sense of exploration and wonder from a game in a long while.

the soundtrack is primarily piano and strings, which is right up my alley.

I think the challenge level is perfect so far (I think I'm halfway or a little over through the game). Most of the highly difficult combat is only if you seek it out looking for higher rewards, the combat gates to exploration are typically very fair and not punishing.

there's an obvious Dark Souls influence: it has mindless enemies taken over by an external corrupting force, exploration of a decayed, once-great civilization, a rest point system, a get-back-your-resources-after-death-by-returning-to-the place-of-death-system... et cetera, but it still feels different and new in many other ways.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
playing through Hollow Knight (a metroidvania, heavier on the metroid side) after a long gaming hiatus. it's a gorgeous game, and I may be jaded but I haven't gotten this sense of exploration and wonder from a game in a long while.
I've been waiting for this one to hit the Switch for some time. I'm glad to hear it's more metroid than castlevania.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM

We really need to come up with the genre name for Dark Souls-esque.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
We really need to come up with the genre name for Dark Souls-esque.
I think dark souls is a metroidvania (heavier on the vania, i.e. lots of items/numbers/XP/generally heavier on the RPG) if you have to put a genre/sub-genre on it. which is a terrible name but that's the one that's stuck.

the general aesthetic and difficulty are the other identifying aspects of Dark Souls that seem to inspire or get copied by other games lately.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

I really wanna get back into The Witcher 3, but I don't think I can do it justice playing for an hour at a time, like twice a week.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
I really wanna get back into The Witcher 3, but I don't think I can do it justice playing for an hour at a time, like twice a week.
I had that problem too, just couldn't devote enough time to it to do it justice. Horizon seemed easier to just pick up and play over longer breaks IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Any love for Shadow of the Colossus?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:51 PM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano

finished up Hollow Knight other than a few optional end-game bits and pieces. it's one of the best games I've ever played, and that's even more remarkable when you consider it was built by a 3-man developer team off of the back of a Kickstarter.
if you have the slightest interest in the genre you need to play it.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one