Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 AM
SOA

Default Any 4K UHD TVs worth it yet?

I'm getting more and more tempted to buy one, but I don't want to get the wrong one and find out a year from now that it won't be compatible with the emerging 4K content.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Non-Actuary

Simple answer: No. Unless you're a videophile with deep pockets such that the few thousand you spend on a 4K TV will hurt you less than the pain of having "only" 1080p.

However, I don't expect compatibility will be an issue, other than missing out on the latest greatest features when they arrive. If the TV can't handle any future enhancements to 4K such as greater color depth, frame rate, or audio formats, you'll be able to set your player/tuner device to downgrade the output to whatever your TV can handle.

On the other hand, in their zeal to protect 4K content, it's possible the MPAA's lawyers will coerce the manufacturers into implementing some newfangled copy protection and encryption scheme that current 4K TVs don't support. That happened with early models of HDTVs that received HD content via analog component inputs or DVI without HDCP. Now those TVs can't receive an HD signal through Blu-Ray players or upconverting DVD players, as the players will only output 480i/480p (or nothing at all) to non-HDCP TVs. So maybe your early model 4K TV will be stuck with receiving 4K content downconverted to 1080p.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 01-24-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-25-2015, 07:27 PM
SOA

Actually, I can get a 55" Samsung for $1500, so it wouldn't set me back a few thousand. But trying to figure out if I would be buying instant obsolescence.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Queens College

What would you watch on it?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 PM

Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz

No
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 AM
SOA

So what should I buy in the meantime? We are getting a new sectional and media center for the family room. I have a 40" TV there now, and it is tough to see well from across the room. Would you suggest a larger, higher end 1080? Those can easily run very nearly the same $1500.

One of the things I keep hearing about the Samsung 4k TVs is that they upscale 1080 content really well. Of course, that's not the same as watching true 4k content, but it would be an upgrade.

Also, there is a growing set of 4k content. Netflix has some through download (although it may require me to upgrade my internet speed). And DirecTV has some on-demand content, which I could get if I switch from Dish.

Here is what I was considering: I have a 55" 1080 in the master bedroom. I could move that to the family room and upgrade the bedroom TV to 4k. We sit close enough there that we could visually appreciate the improved resolution. The lower 1080 resolution wouldn't bother me as much in the family room because we sit so far away.

Option B: leave the 55" where it is and get another just like it, or an even larger 1080, for the family room. There are limits, though, to what size won't look dumb in the family room. We have to stick it in the corner due to room layout. The new corner media center is not enclosed, but ideally fits a 55". Any larger and we would have to pull the thing out from the wall and the TV would stick out past the ends.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 AM
CAS

At your new viewing distance, will you be sitting close enough that 4K will make a difference?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
At your new viewing distance, will you be sitting close enough that 4K will make a difference?
Yes.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George L. Costanza View Post
What would you watch on it?
I sort of responded already in my longer post, but I also watch a fair amount of sports, so motion blur is another concern. My current 55" isn't the best in this regard.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM
SOA

Disregard. I just found a 55" Samsung 1080p for $594 with free shipping while looking at slickdeals. The folks on there are positively glowing about how good a deal this is.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7620118-55-s...ping?#comments

With this little money spent, I won't feel bad replacing it when 4k content becomes more available and the sets are cheaper.