Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
It's a network issue. Something is screwing up the communication with your device and the network drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Sounds to me like the network balked the first time you tried to save. And subsequent tries didn't work simply because that's how network glitches behave. Saving to hard drive is the only work-around I know of.
Another thing to add to my list of IT complaints!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 PM

I went to Larry Deutsch's nondiscrimination testing seminar last week. He commented that he had upgraded to Microsoft Office 365, and had encountered serious problems with paste-link functionality in Excel.

In prior years, he distributed a 400 page Word document with numerous links to about 20 linked Excel files. This year, he said that no matter how he tried, he could not get the paste-link facility to work properly.

For example, the files acted like the drive letter and folder name were "fixed", even though all of his original files are located in a single directory. The links fail if you simply copied the files to a new computer with a different drive letter or folder name. He had to distribute the 400 page Word document with "pictures" of the data from the Excel files instead of actual links.

I am considering updating to Microsoft Office 2016 (or Office 365), and this sounds like a real show-stopper to me. I'm curious if anyone has experienced similar difficulties - or more importantly if there is a known fix.

Now offering online seminars and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1
Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Here is another Excel 2016 problem with manual versus automatic recalculation. I researched this for my wife, who has discovered several times that her automatic recalculation was changed to manual. This article does a good job of explaining the conditions that cause this problem:

https://exceloffthegrid.com/why-does...keep-changing/

Now offering online seminars and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1