Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 AM
CAS

Default Please help me recover HDD space from an unused Linux distro

My boot drive is a SSD and I have a bunch of data on a second HDD on my Win 7 machine along with an unused Linux distro. I don't use the Linux distro and it doesn't show up on a boot menu - my machine boots directly into Win 7 - so deleting the distro shouldn't mess up the MBR. Even if it did, I can fix it with a recovery disk.

What I want to do is recover the distro space for more data storage space. I'd like to do this with Linux tools if it makes sense to do so. I have a Ubuntu USB boot drive to access the Ubuntu disk utility.

Although I do have a backup of the HDD data, I'd rather not have to restore and so I don't want to screw this up.

Do I boot into Ubuntu from USB:
1) unmount the unwanted distro
2) delete or erase or format the partition (which?)
3) extend the data partition to capture the now unused space (might I have to do this after booting back into Windows and use the Windows disk management tool?)

I'm sure the Googles can guide me, but there's comfort in getting the info from you Linux AO folks.

TIA

Last edited by yoyo; 02-04-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Old 02-04-2018, 01:03 PM
CAS

Dunno, but if I remember I'll ask my husband when he gets home.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

I'm not 100% on what you are asking for, but is this it?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Non-Actuary

1. Boot with the Linux USB
2. Run GParted
3. Find the Linux partition -- most likely of type ext4 or btrfs, but definitely not NTFS or FAT
4. Select the partition and choose Delete
5. Click the Apply Changes button, and the Linux partition will turn into free space
6. Now you can either format the partition as NTFS to so Windows can use it as another drive letter, or resize the existing Windows partition using GParted or the link ahow posted.

Ignore all the above if you have the disk set up where Linux is run from within a Windows partition. In that case you just have to find the Linux file(s) and delete it. I've never run Linux that way so I don't know what its filename is or where it is.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:24 AM
CAS

Chuck said you can reformat the space using that Linux USB, and then windows will be able to use it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
1. Boot with the Linux USB
2. Run GParted
3. Find the Linux partition -- most likely of type ext4 or btrfs, but definitely not NTFS or FAT
4. Select the partition and choose Delete
5. Click the Apply Changes button, and the Linux partition will turn into free space
6. Now you can either format the partition as NTFS to so Windows can use it as another drive letter, or resize the existing Windows partition using GParted or the link ahow posted.

Ignore all the above if you have the disk set up where Linux is run from within a Windows partition. In that case you just have to find the Linux file(s) and delete it. I've never run Linux that way so I don't know what its filename is or where it is.
you rock, knew i could count on IH to bring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Chuck said you can reformat the space using that Linux USB, and then windows will be able to use it.
cool, thx

thanks y'all