Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I just found out that my sister in law and niece are both sick with COVID, quarantined in their home with oxygen, and having a rough time of it. My brother in law recently had a liver transplant... so far he's not showing any symptoms, but it's definitely got my mother in law very stressed out.
He's still staying with them in the same house?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
He's still staying with them in the same house?
Yes. He's already been exposed, and apparently they've been quite ill for several days now and nobody told us.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
I have avoided the AO for the past 5+ weeks because I have been dealing with a personal tragedy that has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis. This thread seems to be a good opportunity for me to do some therapeutic sharing.

My son was in a horrific accident on February 18: hit by an SUV while bicycling to work. For the first 24 hours we were unsure he would live. He survived but was in a deep coma for about three weeks afterwards. He is emerging from the coma now but we have no idea what his long term condition will be as he suffered a traumatic brain injury along with broken bones, etc. We visited him daily in the ICU after the accident but otherwise we followed strict social distancing in the fear of contracting the virus and infecting him. There was a COVID-19 patient near his room in the ICU but we were assured we and he were safe.

His hospital, not surprisingly, subsequently banned all visitors. As difficult as that has been for us, it was the right decision obviously. So the impact of COVID-19 on us has been to just add a layer of anxiety on us as we can no longer visit him. The company our son and oldest daughter work for is a tour company that has been devastated by the virus so we also have worries about her future with the firm. Her husband is in movie production so he was laid off a month ago. Their two kids will probably not return to school this term so their parents have the stress of keeping them occupied.

So my message is that there are folks out there who have stresses that may be greater than the stress of catching the COVID-19 virus and they are having a hard time of it. My sonís accident was the third tragic incident to hit the Cooke family recently so things can only get better.

Thanks Westley for a thread to get this off my chest.

Alan
ugh. Iím really sorry to hear.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
My wife's grandfather passed away last week from COVID-19 (one of the first few confirmed cases in our state). My MIL has had some symptoms this week, mainly a fever and a cough, but those seem to be going away. GMIL was quarantined in the same room with GPIL for two weeks while he was sick, mostly because she was in the room with him for a few days before he was diagnosed, not because she had shown any symptoms at all, and she still is not showing any symptoms despite that, so that's a positive I suppose.

On the brighter side, working from home wasn't really on the table before this even though it would have been super helpful due to childcare concerns for my older special needs son, but the past two weeks have proven to be productive enough that I think it will be a valid option in the future.
so sorry for your loss.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
My wife's grandfather passed away last week from COVID-19 (one of the first few confirmed cases in our state). My MIL has had some symptoms this week, mainly a fever and a cough, but those seem to be going away. GMIL was quarantined in the same room with GPIL for two weeks while he was sick, mostly because she was in the room with him for a few days before he was diagnosed, not because she had shown any symptoms at all, and she still is not showing any symptoms despite that, so that's a positive I suppose.

On the brighter side, working from home wasn't really on the table before this even though it would have been super helpful due to childcare concerns for my older special needs son, but the past two weeks have proven to be productive enough that I think it will be a valid option in the future.
Sorry to hear this DD.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I just found out that my sister in law and niece are both sick with COVID, quarantined in their home with oxygen, and having a rough time of it. My brother in law recently had a liver transplant... so far he's not showing any symptoms, but it's definitely got my mother in law very stressed out.
Oh wow!
Old 03-28-2020, 12:49 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
I have avoided the AO for the past 5+ weeks because I have been dealing with a personal tragedy that has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis. This thread seems to be a good opportunity for me to do some therapeutic sharing.

My son was in a horrific accident on February 18: hit by an SUV while bicycling to work. For the first 24 hours we were unsure he would live. He survived but was in a deep coma for about three weeks afterwards. He is emerging from the coma now but we have no idea what his long term condition will be as he suffered a traumatic brain injury along with broken bones, etc. We visited him daily in the ICU after the accident but otherwise we followed strict social distancing in the fear of contracting the virus and infecting him. There was a COVID-19 patient near his room in the ICU but we were assured we and he were safe.

His hospital, not surprisingly, subsequently banned all visitors. As difficult as that has been for us, it was the right decision obviously. So the impact of COVID-19 on us has been to just add a layer of anxiety on us as we can no longer visit him. The company our son and oldest daughter work for is a tour company that has been devastated by the virus so we also have worries about her future with the firm. Her husband is in movie production so he was laid off a month ago. Their two kids will probably not return to school this term so their parents have the stress of keeping them occupied.

So my message is that there are folks out there who have stresses that may be greater than the stress of catching the COVID-19 virus and they are having a hard time of it. My sonís accident was the third tragic incident to hit the Cooke family recently so things can only get better.

Thanks Westley for a thread to get this off my chest.

Alan
Really sorry to hear about your son's accident. Hopefully he has a strong recovery.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed a Little Light View Post
The longer schools stay closed, the more I wonder if all curricula will have to be revised to take into account the fact that a lot of students across the country are missing out on, what, a quarter of their school year? Does every teacher from college down have to adjust their expectations for an entire generation of students are a few months behind, or a few months father behind, anyway?

Some counties are moving stuff online at the high school level, at least, from what I hear. Our county almost certainly won't be, and I think, depending on how long this lasts, there's a real conversation we should have about how this pandemic will exacerbate existing inequalities in education (e.g., I would assume richer counties will be much better able to serve their students online, whereas poorer counties will have a lot of kids who might not even have the hardware and internet access sufficient to pull that off).
yeah. Before the plague I was volunteering in a high school in a lowish income area, tutoring math for kids who were doing well but needed a little extra help. They are theoretically moving to online learning. The class curriculum already WAS on line, so if this were a wealthy suburban school it would probably work fine. But these kids don't have a spare laptop at home. (They used loaner chrome books in the classroom.) The school system is struggling to get them all hardware. But also, these kids are bright, but they don't have the social support for learning that I had as a child. Their older siblings mostly dropped out. Their parents don't work in fields that are math-heavy. In a typical class, their teacher spends ten minutes on instruction ("teaching") and the rest of her time trying to get the kids to pay attention and actually work.

Very few of them are going to do any math for the rest of the semester, at least.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
I'm so sorry Cooke. I can't even imagine. Hoping for the best for your family.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:33 AM
CAS

And best wishes to those of you with family and friends struggling with covid.