Actuarial Outpost
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Design and Accounting Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Design and Accounting Exam Old Retirement Company/Sponsor Perspective (nation-specific) Forum

Old 03-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Default Points per questions and bullet points per response

For those who have taken this exam before, how do you determine how many items to mention in your response to a question. Let's say you're asked to describe an annuity-buy and it is worth 2 points. Should you describe 2 features, 4 features, 6 features or any other number.

In the solution to the Fall 2017 question, they mention seven features but seven features seem like overkill for a two point question.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 AM
College: University of Waterloo (Alumnus)

The general consensus is that for questions that require lists, each relevant bullet point is worth half a point. So a 2 point question would require a minimum of 4 good points for full marks.

In the context of that particular question - I think completeness will get you full points. Rather than a list type question I would categorize it as a definition question. The number of bullet points is less important than fully describing the distinctive characteristics of an annuity buy-in (i.e. if the question was worth more or less points, I would not change my answer).