Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > EA Exams
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA modules
College: University of Illinois -- Alumni
Favorite beer: Whiskey

Just curious if anyone has an update?

I mailed my EA application on January 23rd and received an acknowledgement letter shortly thereafter. A rep for the IRS emailed me requesting my SOA transcript on February 21st. There's been no news since and no one has posted anything. I assume with the April 15th tax filing deadline this may be a rough time of year for a short staffed IRS. Also, when does the 4 month clock supposedly start?

ASA EA-2L EA-2F
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherGuy View Post

I mailed my EA application on January 23rd and received an acknowledgement letter shortly thereafter. A rep for the IRS emailed me requesting my SOA transcript on February 21st. There's been no news since and no one has posted anything. I assume with the April 15th tax filing deadline this may be a rough time of year for a short staffed IRS. Also, when does the 4 month clock supposedly start?
My understanding is that the Joint Board generally meets the second Tuesday of each month to review applications. Since next Tuesday is the EA meeting, I'm guessing they've rescheduled this month's regular meeting.

IIRC, the 4 month clock starts after they've received everything they need to review your complete application.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:19 AM
SOA

Quote:

I am on a similar timeline (submitted my application early Feb...). I received an email this morning requesting additional information with regards to line 6 of Schedule A.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA modules

Funny enough, I actually got a confirmation email this morning stating that my application had been approved. Per the email, an enrollment letter will be sent next week and the certificate shortly thereafter.

ASA EA-2L EA-2F
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
Funny enough, I actually got a confirmation email this morning stating that my application had been approved. Per the email, an enrollment letter will be sent next week and the certificate shortly thereafter.
Congrats! Out of curiosity, how long was your response to item 6? Did you add a page or just use the box in the application? I completely filled the box but apparently one of the 20 things I listed wasn't "descriptive enough"
Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA modules

I completely filled in the box. I benefited from having a few co-workers successfully submit for their EA recently, so I had a reference point. I was able to see how they approached the response and tailor my response to my experience and responsibilities.

Did the IRS tell you which item was insufficient? I've heard a few people say they were bounced back because their response didn't mention reviewing assumptions or experience studies. When I mentioned this I noted the specific ASOPs. To be honest, the rest of it reads like a really boring resume. Lots of action verbs and unnecessarily long sentences.

ASA EA-2L EA-2F
Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
I completely filled in the box. I benefited from having a few co-workers successfully submit for their EA recently, so I had a reference point. I was able to see how they approached the response and tailor my response to my experience and responsibilities.

Did the IRS tell you which item was insufficient? I've heard a few people say they were bounced back because their response didn't mention reviewing assumptions or experience studies. When I mentioned this I noted the specific ASOPs. To be honest, the rest of it reads like a really boring resume. Lots of action verbs and unnecessarily long sentences.
The item was experience studies which I had noted that I performed many of them and specified the assumptions that were included in the studies but apparently I wasn't descriptive enough. They wanted more details about them.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:15 PM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Has anyone heard about their application recently? Perhaps the EA-2L exam slowed things down.

I got my acknowledgement letter in early March and then responded to a request for more information about 8 weeks ago. I've been waiting patiently, but I'd really like to have the credential before the end of July.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:39 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for DA Exam

I also received my acknowledgement letter in early March and I have not heard anything yet (not even a request for more information). I keep checking this thread to see if anyone has more information.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
Has anyone heard about their application recently? Perhaps the EA-2L exam slowed things down.

I got my acknowledgement letter in early March and then responded to a request for more information about 8 weeks ago. I've been waiting patiently, but I'd really like to have the credential before the end of July.
I am in the same boat - submitted my application early March and my response to the request for additional information in late April. I followed up with the IRS in May after the Joint Board meeting and was told "They were not able to complete the review several applications. The next meeting is scheduled for June 12th. I will let you know the next day after the review meeting is held.". I did not hear back on June 13th so followed up again and was told "I have reached out to the Executive Director who will be inquiring as to the status from the Board.". Have not heard anything since.