Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:55 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I also kinda figured out that I probably shouldn't spend tokens until I'm a higher power level, so I can get better gear for reputation, right? If so, I wasted a lot of those early on.
Yeah, the "recommended" way to level up was doing public events to get blue gear up to 260-265, then use tokens for legendaries, then exotic quests. However, that was mainly for getting character levels high enough to jump in the raid as soon as possible. Really, doing whatever's fun works fine.

It looks like you're at 233 light now, pretty close to being able to do the nightfall (weekly higher level strike with timer that has good rewards). Also, on Friday, Xur will show up, and stick around until Monday. He sells a random collection of exotics at light level 270. So I would recommend picking up whatever weapon and hunter item he's selling if you have enough legendary shards (looks like you already have knucklehead radar, I miss the constant radar on my other classes).

You can also do the blue quest lines on each planet for an exotic reward, the one on earth rewards a good scout rifle. Most people do it around 260 for the level boost, but it's doable earlier.

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2018-2019 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 09-27-2017, 11:07 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

Quote:
This morning I hit 230 and became eligible for Nightfall. I'll be eager to give that a shot (hopefully by the weekend).

I think I'll need an explanation on Exotics, as I thought the goal was to have them for all slots, but learned this morning you can only equip one at a time. How do you take advantage of the power/abilities of several exotics? Is this where I should be infusing stuff (or should I only bother, or even capable, of that later)?

I was using a 232 helmet and just got a 250 chest piece. At this time, I don't have an alternate helmet to use, otherwise I would have just chosen that for the chest piece.
Don't worry too much about infusing stuff at this point. You're going to constantly be getting better drops, so it's not worth infusing every time something slightly higher drops. You're only allowed 1 exotic weapon and 1 armor piece equipped, so you can't really take advantage of more than 1 at a time. The idea is that they change your playstyle, for example the celestial nighthawk is a hunter helmet that replaces your golden gun with one ultrapowerful shot. It's really just picking and choosing. What you could do with infusing is if you get a legendary chestpiece, infuse that with the 250 exotic you got to raise your overall light. All previously acquired exotics are available from your vault collections, so you don't permanently lose it, you can repurchase it.

2013-2014 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2016-2017 EPL Prediction Contest Champion

2018-2019 EPL Prediction Contest Champion
Old 09-27-2017, 11:08 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
This morning I hit 230 and became eligible for Nightfall. I'll be eager to give that a shot (hopefully by the weekend).
Haven't run it yet - but I've heard that this week is pretty fun.

Quote:
I think I'll need an explanation on Exotics, as I thought the goal was to have them for all slots, but learned this morning you can only equip one at a time.
Exotics have a unique perk that you can adjust your play style around, and some exotics are good for PvE and others are good for PvP.

For example, Riskrunner and Sunshot are great general PvE weapons. Both have great crowd control elements that are very useful to have. The crowd control benefits though don't really help that much in PvP - so there are better options to use.

Quote:
How do you take advantage of the power/abilities of several exotics? Is this where I should be infusing stuff (or should I only bother, or even capable, of that later)?
You can essentially only have an exotic weapon and an exotic armor piece. One thing that helps to make sure that your exotics compliment each other. Knucklehead and MIDA Multitool both provide radar while looking down sights - so they may not be a great pairing. I'm not sure if MIDA and ST0MP-EE5 stack, so that may be a bad pairing if they don't.

Exotics drop at higher power level. The game looks at what you have on the character when determining drop levels. So, even if you can't equip the exotic, it can help to just have it in inventory so that it helps determine your drop level.

You may also decide that the exotic is worth more as being used in infusion than not. (You don't like the exotic, don't think it's useful, what not). If you do infuse it, you can always reforge an exotic that you've earned through the vault. It will be a lower level and costs legendary shards, but infusing an exotic isn't the worst.

Exotic weapons that I would suggest keeping:
Hardlight, Sunshot, Riskrunner, Wardcliff Coil, Merciless, MIDA Multitool, Coldheart, Skyburner's Oath.

This doesn't mean that the other exotics are bad - personally I love Sweet Business. Just if it is better to have a high Uriel's Gift over a Sweet Business - then it may be worthwhile infusing Sweet Business into the Uriel's Gift.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:30 AM
SOA

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it!

Man. I'm not sure I'm ever going to get to the level of knowing gear names like that

I was the same playing Borderlands 2. So people people were like "I'm hoping <XYZ> drops so I can replace my <ABC>." I never knew what my weapons names were, just that they made the numbers go higher than my previous weapons
Old 09-27-2017, 11:50 AM
CAS AAA

I have the Destiny android app and had to look up a few names I said.

Exotics are easier to know off hand, because there are fewer of them - and they tend to be very task specific. Hardlight you can switch the burn of the gun on the fly, so it's really useful for the nightfall. Riskrunner tears through Fallen enemies. Sunshot is great for Cabal, and useful in general. MIDA Multitool has been one of my go to Crucible weapons for years, it's a favorite of mine.

The really great legendaries are also easy to remember because people talk about them more and you tend to use them yourself. That is why I know Uriel's Gift (auto rifle with High Caliber rounds). Better Devils (Hand Cannon) is great. Nameless Midnight (Scout Rifle) is also a must have.

I would not be able to tell you most of the names of the guns in the game without using the
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM

Wow! MGSV: The Phantom Pain is October's PS+ game!
Also:
Amnesia Collection - PS4
Monster Jam Battlegrounds, PS3
Hustle Kings, PS3
Hue, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
Sky Force Anniversary, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4 & PS3)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 PM
CAS

I've been playing Dark Souls a lot over the past few months...it's become one of my favorite games of all time. Makes me wonder if I've missed any other gems...
Old 09-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I've been playing Dark Souls a lot over the past few months...it's become one of my favorite games of all time. Makes me wonder if I've missed any other gems...
Probably, because it's impossible to keep up with everything.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Nightfall this week is pretty easy. I do recommend you be at least the light level recommended (I believe 240?). Even if this is your first nightfall, you should be able to do it. I did it with 2 randoms and we didn't even use mics to communicate and still won on first try. One of the modifiers is that your non-super abilities cool down much faster. So just spam your abilities, especially grenades. And since there's no way to get any added time, skip spots where you don't need to fight, and you should be able to finish in time.

Quote:
I think I'll need an explanation on Exotics, as I thought the goal was to have them for all slots, but learned this morning you can only equip one at a time. How do you take advantage of the power/abilities of several exotics? Is this where I should be infusing stuff (or should I only bother, or even capable, of that later)?
They are very situational. I run pretty much only MIDA multi tool in crucible (and so does half of destiny players). I mainly use Merciless during the raid, or for taking down big bosses. Nightfall probably has the most variance based on what strike it is and what the modifiers are. The more you play, they more you'll have a better idea of what exotics you'll want for which situation. If you're like me, you get to a point where you want good Legendaries instead of the Exotics. I'd kill for a solid, high light level legendary scout rifle.

I'm a 300 titan(using max light gear) and have been playing Destiny since the start, and I still don't know everything. I'm always learning and willing to help if I can.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Yes, but that is something that you just have to accept...

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one