Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Man, I'm seeing an awful lot of good press for the HSU HB-1 Mk2 horn bookshelf speakers. Even when not on sale, they are less than $200 each including shipping. I could get just one pair to see how I like them. If nothing else, they should make awesome rear surround speakers. But if they're as good as people are saying, maybe I could do all 5 channels with them, including center?
I've heard those. I was really impressed. Horn speakers have a reputation for being very bright. To be fair, they've earned that rep. I found the Hsu to be much more neutral than most horns, and they are nice and dynamic. At the price, you'd be very hard-pressed to beat them, imo. The only speaker that comes to mind at around this price point is the Magnepan MMG. But they are big, and I suspect the wife would veto!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM
SOA

I wish I could talk my wife into not only keeping the towers, but letting me get a couple more. Folks on slickdeals.net are raving about this deal:

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...=Black#start=1

Folks say these are the "real" JBL speakers and not the usual cheap stuff. Some say these have better soundstage and vocal clarity than the 590, which is also about half off right now as they clear them out, and that they crossover better with a good sub (which my Outlaw Ultra-X12 is supposed to be.)

I'm just worried that bookshelf speakers won't have that room-filling sound I need for a 2800 cubic foot room that opens to my kitchen...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I wish I could talk my wife into not only keeping the towers, but letting me get a couple more. Folks on slickdeals.net are raving about this deal:

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...=Black#start=1

Folks say these are the "real" JBL speakers and not the usual cheap stuff. Some say these have better soundstage and vocal clarity than the 590, which is also about half off right now as they clear them out, and that they crossover better with a good sub (which my Outlaw Ultra-X12 is supposed to be.)

I'm just worried that bookshelf speakers won't have that room-filling sound I need for a 2800 cubic foot room that opens to my kitchen...
Yep. JBL still makes some good gear. I've heard, and liked, the 590. You have a sub, so you need output only above 80Hz. The 580/590 have a big advantage in the lower freqs with two woofers and a much larger box. I don't know how loud you listen. I think a bookshelf/sub setup is fine for about 90% of people. Those JBL would probably only do about 2-3 more dB more than the Hsu above 80Hz, which isn't much of a difference.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 AM
SOA

I'm not one to listen to my music at very loud volumes. But I'm very picky about having a "full" sound. My fear is that a bookshelf speaker won't have that fullness of sound, even if it can get loud.

I apologize if I'm not using the proper audio terminology. Maybe it's more accurate to say I like an "immersive but accurate soundstage"?

Edit to add: My wife and kids would disagree with me saying that I don't listen to loud music. But I'm certainly not somebody who blasts out the neighbors. In fact, I've screwed up both ears (long story), so loud sounds are actually painful for one ear. (The other doesn't hear as well, so I actually sit off-center to compensate, rather than making my system unbalanced.)

Last edited by Egghead; 04-13-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Yeah, and I honestly don't know much about the difference between reproducing and producing sounds. At least in theory, both are just taking a source signal and amplifying it so it can be sent through a speaker to ultimately hit our ear holes. I think the only difference is with the guitar amp you are intentionally trying to color the signal and with the speaker amp you are intentionally trying to keep the signal as uncolored as possible, but I have no idea how much the analogy holds or where it starts to fall apart.
So, guitarists want it to sound good, audiophiles want it to be accurate whether or not it sounds good?

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
So, guitarists want it to sound good, audiophiles want it to be accurate whether or not it sounds good?
I have no problem with that statement.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I'm not one to listen to my music at very loud volumes. But I'm very picky about having a "full" sound. My fear is that a bookshelf speaker won't have that fullness of sound, even if it can get loud.

I apologize if I'm not using the proper audio terminology. Maybe it's more accurate to say I like an "immersive but accurate soundstage"?

Edit to add: My wife and kids would disagree with me saying that I don't listen to loud music. But I'm certainly not somebody who blasts out the neighbors. In fact, I've screwed up both ears (long story), so loud sounds are actually painful for one ear. (The other doesn't hear as well, so I actually sit off-center to compensate, rather than making my system unbalanced.)
If you just had the bookshelf speakers, that could be a problem. Particularly in a large room. But with a subwoofer filling out the bottom two octaves, I think you will be able to get a nice full sound.

I didn't realize the Hsu monitors were so cheap. I would definitely consider those.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:47 PM
SOA

George Frankly, you mentioned once that KEF are good speakers. There was a deal recently where they were going for $300/pr, which was a big discount from their usual price of $549. They're out of stock, but I see somebody selling a brand new pair on eBay for $356 after shipping.

I can get the more expensive Q300 for about $549, but lots of people on avsforums are saying that the Q100 actually does a better job of imaging and working together with a subwoofer.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Egghead; 04-13-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
George Frankly, you mentioned once that KEF are good speakers. There was a deal recently where they were going for $300/pr, which was a big discount from their usual price of $549. They're out of stock, but I see somebody selling a brand new pair on eBay for $356 after shipping.

I can get the more expensive Q300 for about $549, but lots of people on avsforums are saying that the Q100 actually does a better job of imaging and working together with a subwoofer.

Thoughts?
You should get out and listen to some speakers. KEF speakers tend to be quite relaxed, with nice rich bass and soft treble. You can listen to them all day. Contrast that with something like Klipsch, which is forward and kind of in your face. This is the downside of something like the Hsu speakers, you can't hear them before you buy them.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:12 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
If you just had the bookshelf speakers, that could be a problem. Particularly in a large room. But with a subwoofer filling out the bottom two octaves, I think you will be able to get a nice full sound.
So you're saying I would get just as full a sound from a set of bookshelf speakers (combined, of course, with my big subwoofer) as I would from the JBL 580 or 590 towers (again, with the subwoofer)?

My wife is now saying she might not be against the JBL tower speakers, because they're a lot narrower than my old DCMs, especially if I go with the smaller 580 model. In fact, she's saying she might let me use the DCMs as rear speakers, because they would be obscured pretty well behind our sectional.

Some folks online say the 580 with its smaller woofer might have better vocal clarity and imaging. Below is somebody's technical explanation:

Quote:
JBL 590 possible advantages:

- 92 dB sensitivity (vs 90 dB for the jbl 580)
- 250 watts max power (vs 200 watts for the jbl 580). The extra 50 watts seems a pretty minor advantage.

JBL 580 possible advantages:

- Not sure, but is the 6.5 woofer a better match to the tweeter, giving better off-axis response around the 1500 Hz crossover region. 1500 Hz = 9 inches
- Not sure, but is the 8 inch woofer not that much of an advantage if crossing over to a subwoofer at 80 Hz in a bass managed system?
Quote:
If your crossing to a sub, the smaller mid/LF driver should be audibly better since larger drivers will tend to beam more than smaller drivers. If you don't need tremendous output i.e. most home theaters, the 570 and 580 should be gems.
I could get two of the 580 speakers delivered for $800, with free returns if I don't like them. That's pretty tempting...

(Incidentally, the 590 speakers are $950 delivered, but I wouldn't want them if they truly couldn't image as well.)

Last edited by Egghead; 04-14-2017 at 12:59 AM..