Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

So we got Outdoor Challenge, and the kids have finally found a game they can beat me in -- Sprint Challenge. Ugh.

Also got Cooking Mama, which is just a crazy game.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
no

I went with the hottest dance party 3 (DDR), felt like I wasted $50 for nothing.
Before I set it up, kids started walking on the pad and then setting it up
took too long, and kids got bored; then kids were happy to dance for
"This is It". Hopefully, Mrs No, will get some use out of the game.

I wish there is a "try it" option for these games, like in NickJr arcade games.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no View Post
I wish there is a "try it" option for these games, like in NickJr arcade games.
You can rent games from places like blockbuster for a week to try them out. I forget how much it is, but it's not "cheap", maybe $5-$10. We've rented 3 games and hated one (Wario Shake it or somehting like that), loved one (Mario Galaxy) and liked the third but it doesn't appear to be available in the US (Mario Striker). At this point thought, it seems they are figuring out what te want from talking to friends.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Official AO Ninja

Studying for my next eye exam
Favorite beer: Guinness - because it's color of ninjas. And delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
You can rent games from places like blockbuster for a week to try them out. I forget how much it is, but it's not "cheap", maybe $5-$10. We've rented 3 games and hated one (Wario Shake it or somehting like that), loved one (Mario Galaxy) and liked the third but it doesn't appear to be available in the US (Mario Striker). At this point thought, it seems they are figuring out what te want from talking to friends.
Mario Strikers should be available. It's just that the game is almost 4 years old, so nobody may want to have it out on the shelves.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM
no

Thanks echo, I'll try that.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Disclaimer: Does not know the abilities of a 3-6yr old.

Raving Rabbids? It may not be much physical activity or learning, but they might very well enjoy it. - mini-games, wacky
Spoiler:
Basically just a bunch of mini-games, with different wii movement, they have a 1st person shooter segment that you shoot plungers at rabbits while moving through a locale. It may have some off-color jokes included (not sure, just trying to be mindful), but it is not the emphasis. They also have some rock-band type mini-games where you have to keep the beat.(good co-ordination)

My Sims:Kingdom - simulation (many variations of this franchise)
Spoiler:
this one seemed very easy, just help people around town with special projects, like assembling a chair or finding a flower (didn't pay too close attention) but I'm pretty sure they could handle it. One aspect is assembling your characters outfit, which could be coherent, or wacky. (Raving Rabbids also allows for some of this customization, but it seemed more cursory)

Of course, New Super Mario Bros: Wii it has in-game accommodations for people on the learning curve.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'. - xkcd.com/552
Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Official AO Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody22 View Post
Of course, New Super Mario Bros: Wii it has in-game accommodations for people on the learning curve.
really? I'll have to go try that out.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM

The accommodations are two: One, videos which help you get the hidden extras, easy to get, but not necessary to the Mario-fans (Yes, I'm addicted but I do not consider it a problem)
Two, if you fail on the same lvl many times (like 7) you can have the game beat it for you. I haven't used this function, so I'm not sure how far it works.
Three: Did I mention it is multiplayer? That you can help (or hurt) each other as you go through the levels, this is a major selling point. I've helped my wife through some tough spots (no kids, just kids at heart), and my buddy and I just competed to try and kill each other while still beating the level.

5 stars, two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'. - xkcd.com/552
Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Official AO Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody22 View Post
The accommodations are two: One, videos which help you get the hidden extras, easy to get, but not necessary to the Mario-fans (Yes, I'm addicted but I do not consider it a problem)
Two, if you fail on the same lvl many times (like 7) you can have the game beat it for you. I haven't used this function, so I'm not sure how far it works.
Three: Did I mention it is multiplayer? That you can help (or hurt) each other as you go through the levels, this is a major selling point. I've helped my wife through some tough spots (no kids, just kids at heart), and my buddy and I just competed to try and kill each other while still beating the level.

5 stars, two enthusiastic thumbs up!
I have the game. I thought you meant there were settings to make it easier, less controls, etc which would have been neat to try. I know all of the stuff you mentioned, although I've never needed Luigi to beat the level for me (I know it's Luigi because my buddy has needed his services).

Tags
wii