Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Would you recommend Rocket League on PS4 or PC? Does it even matter? I don't know of any friends that play (except for a couple on XBox because they're dumb) so joining others doesn't fall into consideration. Guess it's more likely on a computer, anyone can get Steam and it doesn't seem like a game that requires an expensive setup.

I'd be really late to the party if I bought it, gonna get wrecked.
I'd recommend PC so you could party up with your "dumb" xbox friends once cross-platform party functionality comes out. You'll have to figure out something around voice chat though, maybe the discord app or skype or something.

As far as getting wrecked, a buddy of mine got into gold after three months of solo queuing which is about average skill. It'll probably be best to stick to ranked so you're paired up with players of your skill level.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
I've played on both and prefer PC. I think it plays and looks better. But there's also cross-platform play, and if you're on PC, you can talk shit to the console players without them being able to respond, but the reverse is not true.
If you talk trash on pc to ps4 players they can't see anything you type. My understanding is that cross-platform play does not support text chat currently.

All players can spam "what a save" and "nice shot" at each other all day long though and everybody can see that.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
If you talk trash on pc to ps4 players they can't see anything you type. My understanding is that cross-platform play does not support text chat currently.

All players can spam "what a save" and "nice shot" at each other all day long though and everybody can see that.
Dang. I'm going to act like I don't know that because it makes my matches that much more enjoyable.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM
SOA

It's fine jumping into Rocket League right now IMO. A good initial setup and mindset will help you progress and minimize the learning humps a bit. It's a fun game, enjoy the simplicity and novelty of the game on the surface, then let it suck ya in with the never ending complexity and learning you can do inside of the simple framework. Recommendations for initial setup include things such as:
- good camera placement (can look up what various pros use, you will see a bit of a consensus around most settings with little tweaks to it)
- turning off vibrations and screen shake
- using a controller + improved controller layout
- starting on ball cam

will all go a long way. I play with a "claw" type grip on an Xbox controller, it isn't too comfortable, but has worked for me since I switched to it. I don't think many people use it.

This probably won't make sense to you yet, but others would understand. Basically I keep 4 fingers over the triggers and bumpers on the controller. I moved boost to Right Bumper, Powerslide and air roll are on Left Bumper, moved jump to A (X for PS4), and B is change camera from ball cam/no ball cam (O for PS4). This allows for jumping and boosting at the same time more easily than with the original setup for aerials.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Sony Playstation One mini announced.

OMG, just take my money Sony
Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

And hints of C:SOTN being re-released on PS4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Sony Playstation One mini announced.

OMG, just take my money Sony
I already have one. Itís called the Vita.

On a different note, I just canít imagine most of those games still being fun. With the exception of RPGs, SOTN and Metal Gear Solid 1, Iíve found it painful to play PS1 games these days. There may be other games that hold up, but Iím not sure what.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

PaRappa the Rapper!
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
PaRappa the Rapper!
Thanks. Now I'll have Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind! stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one