Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

another +1 on Wesley's post

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEdwards View Post
I wanted to ask people's views and experience of utilizing recruiters to help the search for positions.
IMO there's not much downside.

But you need a good one. Or at least not a bad one.

If they seem like a slimy skumbag, it means they are. Don't use those.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:48 PM
CAS

One thing that I didn't realize is that recruiters in some of these firms get assigned to you without you even knowing. If you try to go through someone else at those firms you will get forwarded back to the recruiter assigned to you.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
One thing that I didn't realize is that recruiters in some of these firms get assigned to you without you even knowing. If you try to go through someone else at those firms you will get forwarded back to the recruiter assigned to you.
Not sure what you mean, but they might (for example) go through the list of new Associates and split it into groups and then say "Steve will call these, Sarah will call those..." - is that what you mean? They do divide it up so that you're not getting multiple calls from a single recruiter at their firm.

But, if you don't get along with Steve from ABC but want to work with somebody else at ABC, they'll probably be fine with that. Just be a professional - "Hey, I met Tim at the conference in Philly and we really clicked - nothing personal against you, but I asked him if he'd be willing to work with me when I'm ready to move" will almost always be fine with them. Would be surprised if they don't go for that. Not sure if that's what happened or something like it or ???
Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Not sure what you mean, but they might (for example) go through the list of new Associates and split it into groups and then say "Steve will call these, Sarah will call those..." - is that what you mean? They do divide it up so that you're not getting multiple calls from a single recruiter at their firm.

But, if you don't get along with Steve from ABC but want to work with somebody else at ABC, they'll probably be fine with that. Just be a professional - "Hey, I met Tim at the conference in Philly and we really clicked - nothing personal against you, but I asked him if he'd be willing to work with me when I'm ready to move" will almost always be fine with them. Would be surprised if they don't go for that. Not sure if that's what happened or something like it or ???
I believe the recruiters are assigned much earlier. Like almost on first come first basis, who saw you on Linkedin first.

In the past, I have trusted recruiter A from firm xyz. I told a different person about an opening and that person contacted recruiter A saying they got their info from me. At that point recruiter A forwarded it to recruiter B and responded recruiter B will take care of this as it is the recruiter of this individual. Meanwhile, the individual had never talked to recruiter B but vaguely remembers a poor attempt at contacting him/her through Linkedin and never responding.

This has actually happened multiple times to me.

Also, one time my recruiter from firm xyz resigned. Recruiter c made a feeble attempt at contacting me from firm xyz. I later asked to be placed with a different recruiter as you stated.

So yes, you can definitely change recruiters within a firm. However, in some of these firms it is possible that a random recruiter got assigned to you.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

It never hurts to diversify your exposure to new opportunities. I've had quality interviews set up by knowing a guy who worked for a place that had a job opening and I've had quality interviews set up by a recruiter who cold-called me about an opportunity I never would have found out about otherwise.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

in all of the firms, your assignment to one of their stable of recruiters is somewhat random.

-could be that the person met you and chatted at a conference. somewhat random, no?
-could be that your name was given to the recruiter by a friend/colleague/other when they were asked about other possible candidates. somewhat random.
-or it could be that the prospect list of new ACAS's came out and your recruiter was assigned everyone from act_001 to act_124. def random.

how would you find these folks non-randomly? or they find you non-randomly? if you want a different person from same recruiter, contact them and ask how to switch.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
in all of the firms, your assignment to one of their stable of recruiters is somewhat random.

-could be that the person met you and chatted at a conference. somewhat random, no?
-could be that your name was given to the recruiter by a friend/colleague/other when they were asked about other possible candidates. somewhat random.
-or it could be that the prospect list of new ACAS's came out and your recruiter was assigned everyone from act_001 to act_124. def random.

how would you find these folks non-randomly? or they find you non-randomly? if you want a different person from same recruiter, contact them and ask how to switch.
Yes, I agree with this. My point was more general that you can have a recruiter assigned and not even know about it.

I also agree that you can always switch within a firm.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
It never hurts to diversify your exposure to new opportunities. I've had quality interviews set up by knowing a guy who worked for a place that had a job opening and I've had quality interviews set up by a recruiter who cold-called me about an opportunity I never would have found out about otherwise.
yup, same for me
Old 05-01-2018, 02:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
not sure if this is what you mean, but when I applied to a large reinsurer for an internship position through indeed, I got a call from a lady who said "Hi, I'm a recruiter with BLEH, and I received your resume". My entire communication was with her (phone screen, follow up on each step of the process, booking of tickets for flights, etc). Her email indicated that she didn't work for company BLEH. Seemed kinda weird to have a recruiter working with an intern.... but she didn't seem "one sided"... (i.e. she would give advice on whether or not I would be making the right decisions based of my goals).