Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
In the past, I have trusted recruiter A from firm xyz. I told a different person about an opening and that person contacted recruiter A saying they got their info from me. At that point recruiter A forwarded it to recruiter B and responded recruiter B will take care of this as it is the recruiter of this individual. Meanwhile, the individual had never talked to recruiter B but vaguely remembers a poor attempt at contacting him/her through Linkedin and never responding.
So yes, you can definitely change recruiters within a firm. However, in some of these firms it is possible that a random recruiter got assigned to you.
Yeah, that sounds normal to me. Like, the person was assigned to a particular recruiter and the other recruiter isn't going to step on any toes by getting in the way. If you want to change, you need to be pretty direct about it, and in the absence of that, they will keep steering you back toward 'your recruiter'. If your friend had spoken to recruiter A, A would have probably said something like "I'm going to connect you with B" and your friend could say "I want to work with you on this, I don't want to work with B" - otherwise they'll let you go through the system they have set up.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:17 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

DWS has come through for me 3 times.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:55 PM

College: About to be a super senior

I donno. Ive had offers through recruiters before. So, I know that they work. But, I just felt like I give up so much info over to the employers. The recruiters would check up on where else Im applying, how much the other offers are, who gave me the other offers, etc. I feel like these were all disadvvantages during offer negotiations. Also, The recruiter discouraged me from negotiating as high as I wanted to. It was annoying to deal with the recruiters always telling me to apply to the roles Im not really interested in, too. I probably wont use recruiters for awhile.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:38 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
But, I just felt like I give up so much info over to the employers. The recruiters would check up on where else Im applying, how much the other offers are, who gave me the other offers, etc. I feel like these were all disadvvantages during offer negotiations.
I'm 99% sure that when recruiters make that kind of questions, they are using you to figure out what company has an open spot. Those recruiters might not even have an actual position to fill, and therefore are wasting the candidate's time. They just want to know what company to approach to promote their recruitment services.

A recruiter should only care about avoiding the scenario that the selected candidate was introduced by multiple recruiters.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
A recruiter should only care about avoiding the scenario that the selected candidate was introduced by multiple recruiters.
A recruiter that only cares about that is grossly incompetent. Just to offer the most obvious example: if recruiter represents Co A, and you are going to get an offer from Co B, a competent recruiter would want to be actively managing the timing to ensure that you have time to consider the offer from A before you have to make a final decision on B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
I donno. Ive had offers through recruiters before. So, I know that they work. But, I just felt like I give up so much info over to the employers. The recruiters would check up on where else Im applying, how much the other offers are, who gave me the other offers, etc. I feel like these were all disadvvantages during offer negotiations. Also, The recruiter discouraged me from negotiating as high as I wanted to. It was annoying to deal with the recruiters always telling me to apply to the roles Im not really interested in, too. I probably wont use recruiters for awhile.
Yes, the recruiter is looking out for himself (at all times). This is often done by looking out for the candidate, and forging a long-term relationship; but that's not always the case. When information that they want is to help them get a good offer for you, of course you provide that freely. When it is solely to benefit the recruiter, you might give that info but try to extract some useful information in return or otherwise look for how it benefits you to help the recruiter. And when they ask for info that might be used against you, you should find a reason not to disclose.

This isn't very complicated in theory, but in practice it's harder because recruiters have these discussions all day long, and you have them rarely. And the more sketchy the recruiter is, the more weasel they become about such things. One of many reasons why I advise spending time talking to recruiters before you have a position. Lots more advice in the link below.