Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 PM
SOA

Default Raises After Fellowship

As a student actuary, I'm used to getting regular raises due to exam passes, end of year inflation adjustments (give or take a little), and promotions. After achieving fellowship, the exam raises are gone and promotions seem less frequent. It seems like that's about the time careers plateau, unless you do exceptionally well.

On the other hand, DW Simpson seems to show that fellow salaries just keep increasing. Is it normal to get decent end of year raises without a promotion?

Asking for a friend.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualScientist View Post
As a student actuary, I'm used to getting regular raises due to exam passes, end of year inflation adjustments (give or take a little), and promotions. After achieving fellowship, the exam raises are gone and promotions seem less frequent. It seems like that's about the time careers plateau, unless you do exceptionally well.

On the other hand, DW Simpson seems to show that fellow salaries just keep increasing. Is it normal to get decent end of year raises without a promotion?

Asking for a friend.
At least in consulting your pay just goes up as you get more clients/more lucrative projects. Then once your workload gets real high you start adding staff to take on the more technical work and you start spending more time chasing clients. Then at some point you become partner and then after that you start managing other partners. I feel like exams can be more of a burden than a pro in consulting (depending on where you are and what you do), which is why some consultants don't progress very quickly though exams. It's like "hey I can get $3k if I spend 150 hours of study time trying to pass an exam or I can spend 150 hours on an additional client and add $25k to my bonus."

In insurance the career path is pretty typical...you finish exams, then you start managing a small team, then you become AVP and then VP etc. until you plateau at the point where you're either not capable of moving up any further/don't want to move up any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 05-03-2018 at 10:00 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 09:53 PM
CAS

You need to keep increasing responsibility/productivity if you want more money. Don't expect big raises if your plan is to keep doing the same work you did upon reaching fellowship for the rest of your career.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Yeah, at least in consulting, your salary is a function of your billing rate, and your billing rate is a function of the value that you provide to clients (either externally or internally).
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 PM
CAS

I know some people who make around $200k (give or take $50k or so) with no direct reports or very few direct reports, so it's possible to keep moving up if you aren't interested in managing people. They may still be doing analytical work, but their work makes much larger impact than the work they did as analysts. For example, they may be responsible for critical decisions over a multi billion dollar book of business that can have a large influence on profitability and get them fired if they turn out to be wrong.

Quote:

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 05-03-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM
CAS

agree with the above. add "changing employers" to the mix for increasing pay

becoming an important component of the revenue stream increases your chances of making more $$$
Old 05-04-2018, 10:11 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Yeah, at least in consulting, your salary is a function of your billing rate, and your billing rate is a function of the value that you provide to clients (either externally or internally).
Uh depends on where you are. I was paid a salary and there was no guarantee of extra money for surpassing sales and hour goals.

Exams or whatever
Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualScientist View Post
?

Asking for a friend.
lol...
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I'm making "FSA money" with no reports but managing processes and making higher level decisions than analysts

Exams or whatever
Old 05-04-2018, 01:02 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Uh depends on where you are. I was paid a salary and there was no guarantee of extra money for surpassing sales and hour goals.
I was speaking more in broad terms. Over the long term, your salary is determined by your value to your team, which is determined by the contributions that you make to that success.

If there's a consulting firm who's genuinely not doing this (again, over the long term), then I have some ideas for them.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).