Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM
CAS

What about a CSPA from the ICAS institute?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:47 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
What about a CSPA from the ICAS institute?
Not sure. That credential is pretty new so I'm not sure if it's in high demand. I think I could get it pretty quickly if it turns out to be useful because of my work experience - but basically I'd only get it if I needed to change jobs and every job description I came across required it. Our team has a variety of credentials but I don't know if the clients would even care for them (or know what they are, even FCAS), but they would be familiar with CISSP and CRISC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 05-13-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-13-2018, 02:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Not sure. That credential is pretty new so I'm not sure if it's in high demand. I think I could get it pretty quickly if it turns out to be useful because of my work experience - but basically I'd only get it if I needed to change jobs and every job description I came across required it. Our team has a variety of credentials but I don't know if the clients would even care for them (or know what they are, even FCAS), but they would be familiar with CISSP and CRISC.
Have you talked to IT/the cybersecurity team and looked at what certifications they might have? I'm not sure cyber security certs are useful in general. The information in the IT world gets stale pretty quickly.

Maybe go to a cyber security conference or training? I know Black Hat does some training (https://www.blackhat.com/trainings/) but that's for more experienced people trying to see where the new exploits are.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 PM
CAS

How would a CERA help you? Oh maybe you would know enough so you do simulated testing and find out the potential problems with remote proctors.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by temisart View Post
Have you talked to IT/the cybersecurity team and looked at what certifications they might have? I'm not sure cyber security certs are useful in general. The information in the IT world gets stale pretty quickly.

Maybe go to a cyber security conference or training? I know Black Hat does some training (https://www.blackhat.com/trainings/) but that's for more experienced people trying to see where the new exploits are.
Yeah, we've got some of our own internal security people helping us out. I'm going to propose that we include some of them on future projects until we get a self-sustaining internal talent pipeline going which could take a number of years.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
How would a CERA help you? Oh maybe you would know enough so you do simulated testing and find out the potential problems with remote proctors.
That was a question posed to me, as I'm the only person on my team who would be able to get one in a short period of time (unless the others want to start the exam process from scratch). My boss asked "hey would CERA be useful for this?" I'm like "ehhhh maybe I'll look into it." I would rather be technically literate in cybersecurity sooner than later so that has taken priority for now.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2018, 10:53 AM
CAS

I am vastly interested in this project. I was tasked to do some freq-sev modeling for cyber. But I have no idea how to answer things like:
"what are the correlations to the number of breach incidents vs. the number of attack surfaces (public IP endpoints, open ports, etc.) available to attackers?"
"Are the correlations between the number of employees and contractors and the number of breaches?"

Will you be able to answer these questions in the future? Do you think if cyber is a thing, we will have a "RMS" for cyber?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:57 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwalden View Post
I am vastly interested in this project. I was tasked to do some freq-sev modeling for cyber. But I have no idea how to answer things like:
"what are the correlations to the number of breach incidents vs. the number of attack surfaces (public IP endpoints, open ports, etc.) available to attackers?"
"Are the correlations between the number of employees and contractors and the number of breaches?"

Will you be able to answer these questions in the future? Do you think if cyber is a thing, we will have a "RMS" for cyber?
One of the questions I had to ask myself is why do I have such a poor understanding of this domain when property seems so much more intuitive. If you were to ask me to build a loss cost model for property, or even aviation, I would know almost exactly what to do, but that's not really the case for cyber.

I think the main difference is that with the more traditional coverages, I can simply tap into an underwriting and claims data warehouse and I should be able to put together a story with what I'm given.

I suppose maybe I could do the same with cyber, or maybe not. I haven't tried yet. I just hear that the rating for cyber isn't all that sophisticated and sometimes is just included as a rider with no variables so the data might not be rich. I may have to play a role in deciding what data we need to collect which is why I'm studying network security. The domain knowledge will help me determine what data we need, what's feasible to collect, etc.

Quote: