Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

If you really can't move, how many other options do you have in the vicinity? If not many, this job may make sense.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:03 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
You job MAY be going away in 7 months and you want to know if you should take a job you clearly don't want right now rather than continuing to look while still employed for the next SEVEN months?
I didn't see this part. In this case I'd agree. Op still has plenty of time and shouldn't just grab the first offer they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:09 PM

College: College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
You job MAY be going away in 7 months and you want to know if you should take a job you clearly don't want right now rather than continuing to look while still employed for the next SEVEN months?
Could be 2 months away - up to 7 months (I expect). In either case likelihood of being let go 85% I am guessing.

Also I actually like the gov't job I am just a little weary about the pay and was worried about future prospects of taking a gov't job (the potential stigma). Seems like that worry is a little misplaced though.

If I end up looking later but in a desperate mode I may have to accept less anyways is my fear.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
If I end up looking later but in a desperate mode I may have to accept less anyways is my fear.
This sentence makes me want to say take the Government job for many different reasons.

-Riley
Old 05-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
Could be 2 months away - up to 7 months (I expect). In either case likelihood of being let go 85% I am guessing.

Also I actually like the gov't job I am just a little weary about the pay and was worried about future prospects of taking a gov't job (the potential stigma). Seems like that worry is a little misplaced though.

Is it a situation where there is any chance of you proactively negotiating some kind of severance?

And if the window of likely termination starts only 2 months out and you truly are location bound then I can see a strong case for taking the bird in the hand.