Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 10-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Default cash value rate table

This might be a stupid question but I thought cash surrender values were determined simply by whatever the accumulated fund value was in the policy as calculated by the administration system at the time of surrender, less any applicable surrender charge.

Fund value would be calculated as (premium - expenses - coi) and accumulated with interest. The cash value calculation seems straight-forward enough to not need a table of cash value rates.

Why would an actual cash value rate table be needed for a life insurance product as opposed to just programming the fund components into a system that will do the fund calculation for you automatically? Is it from the pre-computer era?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Studying for life
Favorite beer: Six Point Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Report View Post
This might be a stupid question but I thought cash surrender values were determined simply by whatever the accumulated fund value was in the policy as calculated by the administration system at the time of surrender, less any applicable surrender charge.

Fund value would be calculated as (premium - expenses - coi) and accumulated with interest. The cash value calculation seems straight-forward enough to not need a table of cash value rates.

Why would an actual cash value rate table be needed for a life insurance product as opposed to just programming the fund components into a system that will do the fund calculation for you automatically? Is it from the pre-computer era?
The mechanism you've described where AV = (premium - expenses - coi) accumulated with interest, and cash value is AV less surrender charges, applies to UL-type policies.

Whole life type policies don't work this way. The cash value growth pattern is locked in at issue. Premiums aren't flexible - either you pay the premium and your cash value grows according to the table, or you don't pay the premium and your policy lapses (this is a bit of a simplification but is generally how it works).

These products don't have a surrender charge schedule or other explicit charges... all the charges are baked into the cash value table.

Yes this is a bit of a throwback to the pre-computer era where products were priced using commutation functions and so it was necessary to have fixed cash flows for the commutation functions to work.
Retracted below.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:20 PM
SOA AAA

In theory, you could calculate non-UL life cash values "somewhat" like UL policies (with modifications for rounding, per unit calcs, implied "unusual" expense factors, and annual vs monthly calcs/interpolation not related to the exact timing of when premiums are paid, etc), but it actually would not be very efficient to do so administratively based on the way these cash values are contractually defined (creating many redundant calculations on a large inforce block of business).
Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Commutation functions??? CSV tables??? Now I feel oooooooooold!!!!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:27 PM

Studying for life
Favorite beer: Six Point Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
Commutation functions??? CSV tables??? Now I feel oooooooooold!!!!
I'm under 40, but having worked for insurance companies that have been around for a century plus, you get exposed to some pretty ancient stuff.

As recently as the late 2000s, I worked with Job Control Language in which statements start with /, a throwback to when punch cards were used in programming.

A few times when I needed access to the system as of a prior date, they had to physically restore it FROM TAPE.
Retracted below.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Life insurance policies can stay in effect for a very long time. Companies are forced to keep a lot of obsolete methodology in place - it's the nature of the business.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull View Post
I'm under 40, but having worked for insurance companies that have been around for a century plus, you get exposed to some pretty ancient stuff.

As recently as the late 2000s, I worked with Job Control Language in which statements start with /, a throwback to when punch cards were used in programming.

A few times when I needed access to the system as of a prior date, they had to physically restore it FROM TAPE.

I remember having to teach myself some COBOL!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:56 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments and explanations. They've all been incredibly helpful to me in understanding more about the tables.

Many times when I ask the AO a question I get so many helpful responses. So glad to have the members of the AO around
Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

There's also the tabular cash values to consider. If your guarantees are always in excess of what is required in the Standard Nonforfeiture Law, then it's not a concern, but I would imagine you have to demonstrate that by going through the process and determining the tabular cash values, based on the SNFL.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky