Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 AM
SOA

Default Duration

I don't agree with the comment and agreement of "key rate duration". That is a topic I haven't worked with in awhile but key rate duration refers to the sensitivity of an asset or liability's cash flows to a change in the particular point on the yield curve. For example, 10 year key rate duration is the change in a bond's price based on changes only in the 10 year rate.

Now I haven't read the interpretation letter referred to here so perhaps that clarifies it but this table to me is taking a listing of your assets and liabilities that have been calculated to be a certain duration and just comparing the PV of those cash flows of those assets or liabilities. The net of them will help NY see duration gaps where perhaps there is an excess of assets that are long or excess of long liabilities and short assets, etc.

From my previous work, this has nothing to do with key rate duration as I've understood it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM
SOA

Default Duration

I don't agree with the comment and agreement of "key rate duration". That is a topic I haven't worked with in awhile but key rate duration refers to the sensitivity of an asset or liability's cash flows to a change in the particular point on the yield curve. For example, 10 year key rate duration is the change in a bond's price based on changes only in the 10 year rate.

Now I haven't read the interpretation letter referred to here so perhaps that clarifies it but this table to me is taking a listing of your assets and liabilities that have been calculated to be a certain duration and just comparing the PV of those cash flows of those assets or liabilities. The net of them will help NY see duration gaps where perhaps there is an excess of assets that are long or excess of long liabilities and short assets, etc.

From my previous work, this has nothing to do with key rate duration as I've understood it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Me, I just love NY special considerations meriting a frowny face.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I swear, I didn't do it on purpose.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I swear, I didn't do it on purpose.
I know, but you could remove it, and choose not to
Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Well, yeah.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey View Post

Agreed. Key rate duration is a measure of yield curve twist risk; regular duration measures parallel shift risk.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM
SOA AAA

College: Uconn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey View Post
You're right. The request doesn't get you key rate durations. I was thinking that the intent might be to get an understanding of the exposure to interest rate movements at different parts of the curve, similar to what key rate durations get you.

As far as grouping assets and liabilities by duration, I think it's pretty straight forward to get granular on the assets because they are typically identified, and durations calculated, at the individual investment level.

Liabilities durations are not typically calculated on a policy by policy level, so what level of granualarity do you use? At the extreme, the liabilities of the whole company could be in one bucket. If you have three lines you're testing, you could be at most in 3 buckets. Calculating durations by policy is a lot of additional work, not just once but for each of the shifts. i don't think this is what they have in mind either.

I think grouping cashflows by maturity and showing the discounted value gets at "duration" gap (sorta) and shouldn't be much additional work.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM

There is an SOA webinar happening right now talking about the Special Considerations Letter. If the speaker comments on this, I'll post it.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM

I'm intentionally leaving the speaker anonymous so nobody will rely on this as representative of what he said, but...

1) He treated the duration column as projection years, probably from your cash flow testing.
2) He noted that the discount rate for the cash flows was not defined.
3) Based on a conversation with NYS, he said this was meant to be aggregate for the company, not by line of business or other subclass.
4) There is a clearly a need to be explicit about the impact of derivatives.
5) This table has a May 1 submission date, and again based on a conversation with NYS, he said that they expected a 'good faith effort', document your approach, and expect that this table would be modified next year to be more clear.