Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 PM
SOA

Studying for ever
Favorite beer: the one I don't remember drinking
Default Risk-Neutral Valuation

Through exams and (very minimal) work exposure, I think I've come up with a working understanding of risk-neutral vs. real-world valuation methods, but I don't really understand the purpose for RN. It seems that RN scenarios should generate a best estimate price if you take the average output, and that this is (at least theoretically) equal to the average RW output. The two should be equal on average, but the tail risk is better reflected in RW scenarios and basically nonsense for RN.

So, with that said, why use RN at all? If RW scenarios give you the same answer, and can be used for forecasting, producing loss percentiles, etc., why would you prefer using RN for any purpose? Is it just a model complexity thing, where you can get to the same answer in a less computationally-intensive approach? Or is there some theoretical reason that I'm missing?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

We use RN when looking at blocks to buy, not RW. RW is used for modeling AG43 reserves, but RN is used in Europe for reserving under Solvency II. Additionally, RN is a proxy for the amount needed to fully hedge your risk. RW is wishful thinking in my book, hoping that the future will resemble the past, despite dramatically lower interest rates.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:17 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Straight Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
RW is wishful thinking in my book, hoping that the future will resemble the past, despite dramatically lower interest rates.
Shouldn't the same answer be achieved whether you use risk neutral or real world scenarios?

In my (granted elementary) understanding of this, the differences are:

1. Risk Neutral uses risk free rates, while Real World uses risk free rates plus some parameter to reflect the market price of the uncertainty of payoff.
2. Real World uses the "true" probabilities while Risk Neutral uses "risk neutral" probabilities. These probabilities work such that one can always be derived from the other.

That being said, shouldn't the answers be the same? No matter whether you use real world or risk neutral interest rates, wouldn't you just adjust the probabilities accordingly so that the answer is the same?

C4L
Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

In the context of Actuarial Guideline 43 (AG43), RW scenarios are calibrated to past performance of various indices, such as the S&P 500. They are not calibrated to market prices.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtics4Life View Post
Shouldn't the same answer be achieved whether you use risk neutral or real world scenarios?

In my (granted elementary) understanding of this, the differences are:

1. Risk Neutral uses risk free rates, while Real World uses risk free rates plus some parameter to reflect the market price of the uncertainty of payoff.
2. Real World uses the "true" probabilities while Risk Neutral uses "risk neutral" probabilities. These probabilities work such that one can always be derived from the other.

That being said, shouldn't the answers be the same? No matter whether you use real world or risk neutral interest rates, wouldn't you just adjust the probabilities accordingly so that the answer is the same?

C4L
1. When modelling asset returns with RN there is no risk premium. So basically if you start with $1, run 10,000 stochastic sims over the next year in regards to your asset returns, take the average of all the sims, and then discount back at the RFR, you should end up with the initial $1 plus/minus a small standard error.

2. RW has an added risk premium which represents various calibrations of what the company (usually provided by a third party) thinks represents realistic future economic scenarios. This is usually used in P&C.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Discounting expected values calculated using real world probabilities at risk adjusted rates gives the same value as risk neutral expected values discounted at risk free rates.

The former method underlies the CAPM which is used for primary assets and is referred to as equilibrium valuation. The latter is generally used for derivatives and is referred to as arbitrage free valuation. It is consistent with no arbitrage. The risk neutral approach facilitates valuation when the risk premia vary over time, and may depend upon the asset price.i
Old 04-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtics4Life View Post

C4L
Does anyone agree with this analysis?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Does anyone agree with this analysis?
I do. Read my previous post.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:17 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Regulatory constraints would not allow you to value your liabilities using a heavily modified RW calibration

Also, even if you where allowed, why make your processes so onerous? Makes no sense to me.

Also, you are going to also have to tinker with the swaption implied volatilities that have been calibrated specifically for the RW model in order to deduce a fit that combines with many other variables to give you a RN output.

So once again, why do you want to make your life this hard? Makes no sense to me.

Tags
risk neutral, stochastic models