Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 03:15 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

I practiced mainly with level 5 adapt tests. I did poorly on the level 6 tests I did but the exam was much easier than level 6. For the determinants, I just read the study note and did the adapt questions on it. The questions they asked on it were straightforward. Make sure you have a through understanding of interest rate swaps.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM
SOA

College: Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnjmathmajor97 View Post
I practiced mainly with level 5 adapt tests. I did poorly on the level 6 tests I did but the exam was much easier than level 6. For the determinants, I just read the study note and did the adapt questions on it. The questions they asked on it were straightforward. Make sure you have a through understanding of interest rate swaps.
Cool. Well congrats again! I take it Saturday. What are your plans for your next exam?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:24 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Thank you! I'm taking probability at my college this fall so I am going to try and take exam P in January. Good luck on Saturday!!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM
SOA

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Thank you! I'm taking probability at my college this fall so I am going to try and take exam P in January. Good luck on Saturday!!
One more thing... just a general question. Did your earned level keep going up even if you were taking custom exams? Adapt says if you take custom exams your earned level won't change anymore but I was taking custom level 6's and it kept bumping up my earned level anyway. I'm at 10 now but was only legitimately at like a 6.5 before i took custom exams.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMath15 View Post
One more thing... just a general question. Did your earned level keep going up even if you were taking custom exams? Adapt says if you take custom exams your earned level won't change anymore but I was taking custom level 6's and it kept bumping up my earned level anyway. I'm at 10 now but was only legitimately at like a 6.5 before i took custom exams.
Yes, I noticed that too. My EL kept going up from level 5 exams but I only counted the 7.4 EL as real since that was from non custom exams. On CA's discussion forum it says that custom exams will continue to affect EL until October.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: Concordia University

Quote:
I was in a very similar situation as you and completely agree with the determinants and swap rate comments.

Last edited by Accuratus; 08-11-2017 at 01:00 AM..
Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 PM
SOA

I passed!

Get comfortable with level 6 adapt exams. Also utilize the study note on determinants provided by the SOA, as well as the two free TIA exams!

Good luck to all sitting in August and the future.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:44 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMath15 View Post
I passed!

Get comfortable with level 6 adapt exams. Also utilize the study note on determinants provided by the SOA, as well as the two free TIA exams!

Good luck to all sitting in August and the future.
Congratulations! Would you say your exam was more of a level 6? What's next for you?
Advanced: FAP | PA
Professionalism: APC
Old 08-12-2017, 06:51 PM
SOA

Yea I'd say so personally. I plan to start studying for P around December once the fall semester is over. My school teaches a probability course similar to P that I'm going to take in the spring, so hopefully I can sit during next summer.