Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Frostop Root
Question Accounting for Additional Reserve in CFT

If an insurer set up an additional reserve in a past year due to a negative result from cashflow testing (asset/liability modeling, scenario or NY7), how is this reported in the AOM and the annual statement? Does the accounting differ from the initial year that the additional reserve is established? What if the additional reserve from the past is being decreased or increased this year?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Isn't it a Miscellaneous Reserve in Exhibit 5? Don't know answers to the other questions.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM
SOA AAA

My understanding is that it is typically shown in what used to be Section G in the Annual Statement Exhibit of Reserve (old 8 new 5).

From memory, the AOM/RAAIS has a "what changed since last year" question, so last year's Asset Adequacy Analysis reserve would be mentioned even if it was released in full this year. An Appointed Actuary may wish to include a roll-forward analysis showing the impact of assumption change/experience/economics. I don't believe the AAA reserve is treated differently in accounting terms than other reserves. Is there a specific difference you are expecting?

In the cert where the reserves are classified by tested/non-tested, I would consider AAA reserves to be tested.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:35 AM
SOA

I seem to recall that they are not tax deductible.
"A new tree had grown from the stump and its trunk had grown along the ground until it reached a place where there were no wash lines above it. Then it had started to grow towards the sky again. Annie, the fir tree, that the Nolans had cherished with waterings and manurings, had long since sickened and died. But this tree in the yard--this tree that men chopped down...this tree that they built a bonfire around, trying to burn up its stump--this tree had lived!" - Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grondin View Post
My understanding is that it is typically shown in what used to be Section G in the Annual Statement Exhibit of Reserve (old 8 new 5).

From memory, the AOM/RAAIS has a "what changed since last year" question, so last year's Asset Adequacy Analysis reserve would be mentioned even if it was released in full this year. An Appointed Actuary may wish to include a roll-forward analysis showing the impact of assumption change/experience/economics. I don't believe the AAA reserve is treated differently in accounting terms than other reserves. Is there a specific difference you are expecting?

In the cert where the reserves are classified by tested/non-tested, I would consider AAA reserves to be tested.
This agrees with my (somewhat fuzzy) recollection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleminopee View Post
I seem to recall that they are not tax deductible.
So does this.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO Fan View Post
If an insurer set up an additional reserve in a past year due to a negative result from cashflow testing (asset/liability modeling, scenario or NY7), how is this reported in the AOM and the annual statement? Does the accounting differ from the initial year that the additional reserve is established? What if the additional reserve from the past is being decreased or increased this year?
I agree with all of the comments so far. (AAA Reserves should be in Exh 5 part G.)

Do you have a more specific question with regard to the "accounting" of the AAA reserves? For example, there's no valuation basis per se associated with the AAA reserve, so I don't think that AAA reserves, or changes in the balance, would be reported in Exh 5A as a change in valuation basis.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM
SOA AAA

My quick take is the "basis" is the same, just not the amount. No adjustment in 5A.

Tags
accounting, alm, aom, cft, reserve