Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Mr. NA was in the room with me when I gave birth. I wouldn't have let him chicken out on that.

And don't I kind of partially own the parts being operated on? I get the most use out of them.

It's not like it's a real surgery that would require a sterilized mask and gown where my presence would be a risk. I'd like to be there for emotional support (and curiosity).
giving birth is different. he's not bringing a life into the world. he's stopping potential new ones. If he's cool with it, then go for it though.

I wouldn't want anyone there for emotional support for any surgery, even a minor one.
Spoiler:
Old 05-18-2018, 04:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Practical? Sure.

Common? I'm surprised.
More common among those with higher incomes and education.

https://www.guttmacher.org/journals/...ates-1998-1999

Quote:
Low-income, minority and less educated men were underrepresented among vasectomy recipients. The majority of men were married or cohabiting (91%), non-Hispanic and white (87%), and educated beyond high school (81%). Only 7% of men had annual household incomes of less than $25,000, and fewer than 1% paid for the procedure using public funding; 81% of respondents paid through private insurance or a health maintenance organization. Half of men reported choosing vasectomy over a reversible method because it is the most secure means of preventing pregnancy, and 62% chose vasectomy over tubal ligation because the procedure is simpler and safer.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
giving birth is different. he's not bringing a life into the world. he's stopping potential new ones. If he's cool with it, then go for it though.

I wouldn't want anyone there for emotional support for any surgery, even a minor one.
My wife wanted me there during childbirth, and I was fine with that. But she didn't want me looking "down there" when it was happening. And I was more than fine with that, too.

If she'd said she didn't me in the room during birth, I'd have gone along with that, too. In my mind, it's all about the patient's preference. They're the ones having a rough enough day as it is.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post

A vasectomy does bring new life into the world.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
For most medical procedures, one expects the doctor to be in the room, any assistants, and also the owner of the body parts being operated on.
And don't I kind of partially own the parts being operated on? I get the most use out of them.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Not sure why vasectomies aren't also covered at 100%, but I guess just because the man has a vasectomy doesn't mean the woman won't get knocked up.
If the father has health insurance but the mother doesn't, I think that means his health insurance would only cover the baby after birth and maybe the delivery process, but not the mother's prenatal care or post-partum complications.