Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 PM
SOA

In other news, I decided to cancel my Tidal subscription. I was encountering more and more streaming issues. Songs would just hang up right in the middle. Other songs would buffer forever before playing. (I actually waited for one, and it was about 5 minutes of silence!)

I switched to Apple Music. Yeah, I'm missing something in resolution, but it's not huge. I'm hoping rumors are true that Spotify is working on releasing a high res tier, because that would address their only shortcoming. Otherwise, I may look into downloading FLAC files (hdtracks.com, etc.) for the occasional album that would really benefit from the extra detail (classical music, in particular.)

Last edited by Egghead; 09-13-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
In other news, I decided to cancel my Tidal subscription. I was encountering more and more streaming issues. Songs would just hang up right in the middle. Other songs would buffer forever before playing. (I actually waited for one, and it was about 5 minutes of silence!)

I switched to Apple Music. Yeah, I'm missing something in resolution, but it's not huge. I'm hoping rumors are true that Spotify is working on releasing a high res tier, because that would address their only shortcoming. Otherwise, I may look into downloading FLAC files (hdtracks.com, etc.) for the occasional album that would really benefit from the extra detail (classical music, in particular.)
Keep me posted. I haven't hopped on paying for high def audio but I intend to! I know someone else who canceled Tidal, and I think for similar reasons. If Spotify offers it I pledge to jump on it and at least try it out!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 PM
SOA

My wife is willing to let me get two of the GIK Acoustics Monster Bass Traps for my birthday. It's 2 months away, but I'm trying to figure out if I really want to drop $458 on room treatments.

I came up with the idea of getting 2 because I'm struggling with whether I would want the optional Scatter Plate added. I'm thinking I would, but scattering is not generally recommended for first reflection points. So if I got two, I could play around with placement, see where scattering provides the most benefit, where straight-up absorption helps most, etc. Plus, with two of these, I would get more bass trapping, which apparently actually improves bass perception, interestingly enough.

When I first reached out to GIK, they recommended getting 3 cheaper standing bass traps, because I would have a lot of flexibility for placement. I think it will be hard enough to find storage for 2 of these things when I need to leave the room "visitor friendly."

Last edited by Egghead; 09-17-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
My wife is willing to let me get two of the GIK Acoustics Monster Bass Traps for my birthday. It's 2 months away, but I'm trying to figure out if I really want to drop $458 on room treatments.

I came up with the idea of getting 2 because I'm struggling with whether I would want the optional Scatter Plate added. I'm thinking I would, but scattering is not generally recommended for first reflection points. So if I got two, I could play around with placement, see where scattering provides the most benefit, where straight-up absorption helps most, etc. Plus, with two of these, I would get more bass trapping, which apparently actually improves bass perception, interestingly enough.

When I first reached out to GIK, they recommended getting 3 cheaper standing bass traps, because I would have a lot of flexibility for placement. I think it will be hard enough to find storage for 2 of these things when I need to leave the room "visitor friendly."
Missed this post. Do you think you could rig up some more treatments like your mattress topper? Maybe egg crate foam, or fiberglass, or something? If the internets could tell you what material/thickness you need to absorb certain freqs. I'm wondering if you could mock up something super ugly for like $50. Play around with one vs two, and varying location. Maybe get an idea if you want 1/2/3 whenever you step up to something nice.

Maybe more trouble than it's worth. As you have probably surmised, I've been feeling pretty experimental these days.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
SOA AAA

I got my mic out and applied some EQ to my mains and subs. I needed a bit more treble, and my bass was pretty fat. Got it all mostly lined out, and then tweaked it 1dB here and there, sounded pretty good.

And then I remembered that I had hauled my Aura 18" downstairs, but didn't remember to turn on the amp. So I will have to re-do my bass EQ.

No idea what to do next. Maybe follow your lead on room treatments. I want to do a big tapped horn, but I'm seriously overflowing on subs. Maybe try a cheap-o build with some SEOS horns. Or a paraline, those look neat. I'd also like to get back to car audio, but don't plan on keeping my car much longer, so that would be kind of a waste.