Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-13-2017, 05:28 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: Cap'n & Coke

If you would respond negatively to "I need a job" you should find a therapist because you're trying to extract complements from a job candidate.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:29 PM
SOA AAA

"I don't know yet. Part of the interview process is whether you think I'm a good fit for your company, and part of it is whether I think your company is a good fit for me."
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

How many of you guys would be this flippant in an actual interview?

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
"I don't know yet. Part of the interview process is whether you think I'm a good fit for your company, and part of it is whether I think your company is a good fit for me."

Although I get the niggling suspicion that while this would be an honest answer, it may not be wise to say this.

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“Belief gets in the way of learning.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”

Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 PM

I think that would be a fine answer in an on campus interview.

If I interviewed you on campus and then flew you to the home office for a full day of interviews, I think I'd expect you to have learned a bit on campus and/or done a smidgen of research in order to have a better answer.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM
SOA AAA

Bullshit answer to a bullshit question.
What the doctor (heh-heh) ordered.

I'd rather be honest. That way, I don't have to remember the truth AND all the lies.

Also, if they don't like my answer, that company probably won't be a good fit for me. So, again, part of the interview process.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I think that would be a fine answer in an on campus interview.

If I interviewed you on campus and then flew you to the home office for a full day of interviews, I think I'd expect you to have learned a bit on campus and/or done a smidgen of research in order to have a better answer.
If you flew me in, I'd expect you to have learned about me. And not ask bullshit questions.
So, nyeh.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I rarely see people lose out on a job offer because they didn't interview well.

Usually, a candidate just loses out to somebody who is more qualified or has a more appropriate background for the job, as in there was probably nothing they could have changed about the interview that would have gotten them the job. I may have seen some cases where the candidates were hired based on looks.

I've only seen one case where a candidate's particular answers to certain questions cost him the job, and it was because he said something offensive. The chief actuary said we couldn't have the guy saying the same types of things in front of important people at important meetings, so we dropped him from consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
Most of the time, I have no good reason really. I'm interviewing for internships and so far I've said general stuff like "I like the location" or "I like the core values", but this seems like really bad reasoning and I never seem to get it right. Furthermore at entry level, I just want to get an offer. I'd rather work at a company I dont like than not work at all (atleast for an internship), so I don't really vet down the companies I wanna work for.

My question is how do I learn about a company? If I simply go to the corporate website, the "About Us" page is usually just filled with the same old nonsense on every other about us website. Can I get some advice on how to answer this questions if I do not know enough about a company and how I can go about learning about a company before an initial phone screening?
Just tell them you love working with beautiful people.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I rarely see people lose out on a job offer because they didn't interview well.
I don't know that it would be easy to distinguish. Confidence tends to make us think people are competent. I'd think it would be fairly easy to mistake a bad interview for incompetence.